[OS X TeX] a5paper?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 18 16:33:13 CEST 2004

On 18 okt 2004, at 16:20, Jérôme Laurens wrote:

> I must be missing something obvious...
>
> If I run latex from the command line against the following file
>
> \documentclass[a5paper]{article}
> \begin{document}
> test
> \end{document}
>
> and I open the resulting dvi in MacDVIX or xdvi
> the resulting page is still a4.
> (However, the text is correctly typeset taking into account the
> a5paper option)

In the default config.ps file (in which dvips options are stored (in
the file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/dvips/config/config.ps in
my TL2003 based install), you'll find the definition for a5-paper. So
dvips knows about the papersize, and I believe xdvi uses the same
configuration. However, I don't think that the default article adds the
information to load this (physical) papersize to the dvi file.

You might try to load the geometry package, because it will add the
physical size to the dvi-file, in a way that makes sense to dvips. I
*think* that also makes sense to xdvi, I do not know about MacDVIX.
It's worth a shot anyway (you'll also need it for pdflatex...)

For xdvi there is the command-line option -paper papertype that should
help.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>