[OS X TeX] From LaTeX to XeTeX (was: Verdana font package?)

Jan Eden lists at janeden.org
Mon Oct 11 15:32:07 CEST 2004

Hi Bruno,

Bruno Voisin wrote on 11.10.2004:

>Le 11 oct. 04, à 14:23, Jan Eden a écrit :
>
>>Will Robertson wrote on 11.10.2004:
>>
>>>The U encoding is for "unknown", coz Mac OS X takes care of it all
>>>for you.
>>
>>Unknown it is - to TeX, too: It complains about a missing uenc
>>file. I switched to T1 and the error messages disappeared.
>
>The error was possibly caused by your using
>
>\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
>and your solution was, if I understand well, to replace {U} by {T1}
>in font shape declarations. This will, I think, cause strange output
>if you use non-ASCII characters, like ü.

After some testing, I found that \usepackage[safe]{tipa} was causing the error. But my workaround (encoding T1) did not harm my non-ASCII characters, since I used Adobe Garamond Pro instead of Hoefler Text in my real document.

The only declaration which does not work yet is the following:

\DeclareFontShape{U}{agaram}{m}{sc}%
   {<-> "AGaramondPro-Regular:Letter\space Case=Small\space Caps"}{}

Can't XeTeX access Adobe Garamond Pro's small caps? Or am I missing something?

Now there's just two more tasks to make me a happy XeTeX convert:

XeTeX should play nice with the beamer class
pstricks graphs should appear after a XeTeX typesetting

Is this possible at all?

Yes, you are right. I will join the XeTeX mailing list.

Thanks,

Jan
--
Remember: use logout to logout.