[OS X TeX] Verdana font package?

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Oct 11 12:55:20 CEST 2004

Jan Eden wrote:

> Wow, this is really nice. Could anyone explain to me some lines in Bruno's recent how-to:
>
> \DeclareFontFamily{U}{hoefl}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{n}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{it}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic"}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{bx}{n}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black"}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{b}{n}%
>    {<-> ssub * hoefl/bx/n}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{bx}{it}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black\space Italic"}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{b}{it}%
>    {<-> ssub * hoefl/bx/it}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{sc}%
>    {<-> "Hoefler\space Text:Letter\space Case=Small\space Caps"}{}
> \renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefl}
> \normalfont\selectfont
>
> What do the ssub lines do? Where can I look up the m(edium), bx (black?) and b(old) abbreviations? Why does he use a "U" encoding?

I'm in the process of putting these all in a package so you don't need
to write them manually for every font (I'll have had to, but at least we
aren't wasting effort :), but in the meantime:

ssub lines define "aliases" to a particular font; by default LaTeX gets
\bfseries and \textbf from the "bx" weight, which is bold extended. The
ssub lines are simply used so that you don't get errors when trying out
that weight, coz it redirects you do one it actually knows about.
Alternatively, you could leave them out and have a
\renewcommand\bfdefault{b} at the end with the other similar lines.

(BTW, the \selectfont is probably redundant.)

You can look up all the abbreviations in various places that talk about
fonts; psnfss2e.pdf I think has them, and fntguide.pdf, as well as the
fontinstallationguide.pdf, and (most comprehensively) fontname.pdf. The
easiest way to get those documents is to google for them, probably.

The U encoding is for "unknown", coz Mac OS X takes care of it all for you.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Will
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>