[OS X TeX] biblio, Bibtex?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 7 14:55:25 CEST 2004

On 7 okt 2004, at 14:25, Sylvan Jacques wrote:

> I am now getting the biblio of my paper together. I read NSSIL (Not so
> short
> ...)
> and Geenberg's "Simplified Intro" (this looks like it might be
> good--any
> comments).

Haven't heard about this one before, from the table of contents it
seems a decent introduction: everything I'd put into an introduction is
mentioned.

> NSSIL has a paragraph on biblio, leaving you want a bit more detail.
> He does say to use Bibtex only for longer docs.

Bull, use bibtex for everything. You're likely to cite certain articles
more than once, and having bibtex figure things out is a lot easier.
Besides you never know how big things may get: I have a few collegues
who insist on doing everything by hand. Their article has about 500
references by now, and I doubt it will ever be published. If they had
used bibtex, the increased flexibility would have saved the article.

In other words: do it the right way from the start, even if the
publishers says otherwise, the generated .bbl file can just be copied
into the tex file, and nobody would know the difference.

> I am using TeXshop on a MAC. I have only about 15 items in my biblio,
> so I don't want to go into anything heavy to do this.

I doubt this will be the last article you write: just get it right, and
get started with your data-base. You will not regret it.

> But Greenberg says everyone should use Bibtex.

I'm beginning to like this introduction... I agree. I had a quick look
in the simpliefied... and I think it contains all you need. The real
introduction & reference is the Lamport book, and the complete
reference is in the LaTeX Companion.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>