[OS X TeX] Page scrolling in TeXShop

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Thu Oct 7 11:57:25 CEST 2004

Le 7 oct. 04, à 10:05, Will Robertson a écrit :

> On 7 Oct 2004, at 5:14 PM, Jérôme Laurens wrote:
>>
>> Le 7 oct. 04, à 09:30, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>>> Still wondering whether this is a bug, or a design flaw.
>
> I would definitely call this a bug.

where is the error?

>> design flow definitely.
>>
>> The actual behaviour and the one you describe both should be
>> implemented.
>
> Why would you *ever* want the behaviour Bruno describes?

Cos I'm free, I do what I want... (I don't remember the rest of the
song)

> Putting in preferences or options for every little thing like this
> makes bloated and confusing applications. Keep it simple!

You are confusing the feature and the user interface.
Hidden prefs are made for that: define a default behaviour that will
fit most users and for the very few who really need another behaviour,
let them use some hidden pref to switch.

What you call "little" thing might be very important for some other
people.
Including may be you in some specific situation.
It is not because you are not able to imagine a situation that it does
not, did not or will not ever exist, even for you.

Some documents do rely on page splitting while others really don't:
for example, a catalogue can be designed with one product per page.
Someone could find more efficient to go to the top left of the page
when scrolling up and down to see the product name or so.

IMHO, a good app design should delay the choices as far as possible.
Which means that when there are two acceptable solutions, both should
be implemented.
But a dedicated UI for the choice should be implemented only if used by
most people.

For TeXShop, it means that the old behaviour should be kept and a new
one should be added, as default.
No UI for the switch except hidden prefs.
Same UI, more features, better app.

Some final technical remark (and question) on the pdf viewer.
IMO, a viewer would be more efficient if it did not display too much
blanks.
So, the viewer should be aware of the text margins and should focus on
rectangles inside the text area as far as possible, without being too
intrusive. The question is to recognise this text area, I guess this is
possible parsing the pdf, and if I'm right, what is the cost?

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>