[OS X TeX] Re: font management simplified

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Oct 5 06:01:03 CEST 2004

On 5 Oct 2004, at 12:50 PM, Ross Moore wrote:
> I think you want to look at the documentation:
>
>     ..../texmf/doc/fontname/fontname.pdf

Oh! I've never seen *this*!
I'm not going to use abbreviated names for fonts in my XeLaTeX
interface, excepting those in the Base 35. I might even duplicate
those. My reason being I don't think there's any good reason for the
abbreviations.

>  \S 2.3  is titles "Weights"
>
> The table there has:
>
>  k = Book
>  c = Black

As well as u = ultrablack and x = extrablack

Hmmm, ok.
I'll still need some creativity getting a series name from all this.
I'm inclined to add "f" for weights with regular widths, so \textxf for
Optima's ExtraBlack. This seems consistent with LaTeX's \textbf for
bold.

>> Any suggestions? Am I even on the right track assigning LaTeX
>> commands to all the myriad of permutations I have?
>

> Since much of this kind of work has been done already,
> it'd be best to stick to what is used there, and add
> anything missing into slots with unused letters.
>
> Other parts of this  fontname.pdf  document may be
> of value as well.

Looks like it. As I said above, though, unless I get big complaints,
there's no way I'm calling the Cochin (say) family "pco" rather than
"cochin".

> Thanks for undertaking this work.

Well, I can't work for too long on it. I'm just hoping to get the ball
rolling.

Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>