[OS X TeX] finding lmodern

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 22:34:13 CEST 2004

Le 4 oct. 04, à 21:01, Steven Shaviro a écrit :

> I installed TeTeX (via i-Installer) and iTeXMac on my G4 laptop some
> time ago. I just installed them on my new G5 desktop machine.

How did you install on the G5: via i-Installer again, or did you use
the Mac OS X Setup Assistant described here
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/upgradetonewmac.html>? The latter
might have problems with TeX files, which partly live in the hidden
directory /usr/local/teTeX/.

> I read in various FAQs that one can improve the look of the pdf
> documents generated by LaTeX by adding the following lines to the
> preamble of every LaTeX document:
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
>
> This works fine on the laptop.
> But on the desktop machine, when I try to typeset a LaTeX document, I
> get the following error message:
>
> ! LaTeX error: File 'lmodern.sty' not found.

Normally it's at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/lm/lmodern.sty. Do you
have this file on your G5?

> I know that finding fonts is often a problem, but I thought that
> Imodern was supposed to be installed as part of TeTeX by default. I
> tried running "sudo texhash" in order to make sure that LaTeX would be
> able to find all the relevant files, but this made no difference.

If you used i-Installer, did you select Simple or Expert install, and,
if you selected Expert, did you check "TeX Support: Latin Modern
Fonts"?

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>