[OS X TeX] Problems with Bibdesk using elsart.cls

Lisa Schweitzer lschwei at vt.edu
Sun Oct 3 05:07:48 CEST 2004

I am getting confused in TexShop about using  Bibdesk with elsart.cls
(this is the house class for Elsevier Science Publishers). I read
through how to do this, and I am wondering if I should be doing
something to my .aux files that I don't normally have to do in TexShop.
  I've never had any problems using Bibdesk before (with this database
file) , but the elsart  template suggests you to do the following:

======

% Bibliographic references with the natbib package:
% Parenthetical: \citep{Bai92} produces (Bailyn 1992).
% Textual: \citet{Bai95} produces Bailyn et al. (1995).
% An affix and part of a reference:
%   \citep[e.g.][Ch. 2]{Bar76}
%   produces (e.g. Barnes et al. 1976, Ch. 2).

\begin{thebibliography}{}

% \bibitem[Names(Year)]{label} or \bibitem[Names(Year)Long
names]{label}.
% (\harvarditem{Name}{Year}{label} is also supported.)
% Text of bibliographic item

\bibitem[]{}

\end{thebibliography}

===========

Easy enough, or so I thought.  I did go through the bibitem rigamarole,
but I am wondering what the point of having using the natbib package if
I have to re-type the citation data into the file itself?  So I have:

\section{References}
\begin{thebibliogrpahy}
\bibliographystyle{elsart-harv}
\bibdata{bib1}
\end{thebibliography}

===========

But I am not having any luck. I get:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.2)
The top-level auxiliary file: template-harv.aux
The style file: elsart-harv.bst
I found no \bibdata command---while reading file template-harv.aux
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "bllrd.83"
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "bllrd.95"
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "cole.01"
=========
And so forth, for all my citation entries.

I hope I've shown everything I need to in order to give you an idea.

Lisa

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>