[OS X TeX] iInstaller and manually installed components

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 29 20:23:12 CET 2004

On 29 nov 2004, at 18:04, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 29.11.2004 um 17:10 schrieb Stephan Hochhaus:
>
>> I would like to know if any of you have ever tried to use Gerben's
>> distribution with some manually installed components (such as
>> ImageMagik, Ghostscript or Freetype).
>
> Go ahead: remove the old programmes from the extra i-Packages and use
> modern software! The core i-Packages and software installed via Fink,
> darwinports or directly from off the public domain make a perfect
> team. Gerben's extra i-Packages are no must, they're there for your
> convenience.

Be *very* careful with Fink: make sure it doesn't overwrite or disable
any of the i-Installer TeX system. This has happened before (and the
pieces were picked up by the list). Since Fink's TeX is pretty old - or
not as cutting edge as Gerben's TeX - I'd like to sound a warning on
that.

> Did you notice the discussion on TeXniscope? It's as easy to integrate
> into texdoc as Preview or TeXShop. All you have to do is take care
> that your path or PATH variables point to all repositories of
> binaries, to all directories named bin, i.e. the usual bunch plus
> those like these here: /opt/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sw/bin.

Be _very_ careful about the order in which you add them. Although Fink
advices to put it at the front of you path, I think you're way better
off by putting them at the end (minor security and major configuration
issues - especially wrt TeX).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>