[OS X TeX] memoir question

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 27 23:01:55 CET 2004

On 11/27/04 3:48 PM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

>>> This works for the heading. However, the table of contents is all
>>> screwed up ("Appendix A" and "Option Games" are printed on top of each
>>> other) and the header now says "Appendix Appendix A".
>>
>> \makeatletter
>> \renewcommand\appendix{\par
>>    \setcounter{chapter}{0}%
>>    \setcounter{section}{0}%
>>    \gdef\@chapapp{\appendixname}%
>>    \gdef\thechapter{}}
>> \makeatother
>>
>> is just like Bruno's version except it blanks out \thechapter. Sigh...
>
> I've just had a look at memoir.cls (which I don't use). What about
> leaving \thechapter alone (mine was a silly idea anyway, since
> \thechapter is supposed to be the printed output of a counter), and
> redefining \printchaptername instead, by putting in the preamble:
>
> \makeatletter
> \renewcommand\appendix{\par
>  \setcounter{chapter}{0}%
>  \setcounter{section}{0}%
>  \gdef\@chapapp{\appendixname}%
>  \gdef\thechapter{\@Alph\c at chapter}%
>  \renewcommand{\chapnamefont}{\normalfont\Large\bfseries}%
>  \renewcommand{\printchaptername}{\chapnamefont \@chapapp}%
>  \renewcommand{\chapternamenum}{\space}}
> \makeatother
>
> If that still doesn't work, you may also try redefining
> \printchapternum (but that would be less `clean'):
>
> \renewcommand\appendix{\par
>  \setcounter{chapter}{0}%
>  \setcounter{section}{0}%
>  \gdef\@chapapp{\appendixname}%
>  \gdef\thechapter{\@Alph\c at chapter}%
>  \renewcommand{\printchapternum}{\chapnumfont
> \appendixname\space\thechapter\quad}}
> \makeatother
>
> I looked at what the [article] option does, its sets \artopt to true.
> This switch, in particular implies the declaration
> \chapterstyle{article} which means the command
> \makechapterstyle{article} is run, namely:
>
> \makechapterstyle{article}{%
>  \renewcommand{\chapterheadstart}{\vspace{\beforechapskip}}
>  \setlength{\beforechapskip}{3.5ex \@plus 1ex \@minus .2ex}
>  \setlength{\afterchapskip}{2.3ex \@plus .2ex}
>  \renewcommand{\printchaptername}{}
>  \renewcommand{\chapternamenum}{}
>  \renewcommand{\chaptitlefont}{\normalfont\Large\bfseries}
>  \renewcommand{\chapnumfont}{\normalfont\Large\bfseries}
>  \renewcommand{\printchapternum}{\chapnumfont \thechapter\quad}
>  \renewcommand{\afterchapternum}{}
> }
>
> That's I think where you have to look for the various settings that the
> [article] option influences, and compare with the default:
>
> \newcommand{\@chs at def@ult}{%
>  \def\chapterheadstart{\vspace*{\beforechapskip}}
>  \def\printchaptername{\chapnamefont \@chapapp}
>  \def\chapternamenum{\space}
>  \def\printchapternum{\chapnumfont \thechapter}
>  \def\afterchapternum{\par\nobreak\vskip \midchapskip}
>  \def\printchapternonum{}
>  \def\printchaptertitle##1{\chaptitlefont ##1}
>  \def\afterchaptertitle{\par\nobreak\vskip \afterchapskip}
> }

> [...]

Howdy,

Well, I ran my version of your original commands, the one I suggested with
lots of  and that didn't work very well. Sigh...

The memoir class certainly redefines the way things are set up and I'm not
familiar with it either. I do know that I don't like the way it simulates
the article class with that option set.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>