[OS X TeX] Configuring Emacs 21.3.50 for AUC-TeX on OS X 10.3

J.McKenzie Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 17:41:29 CET 2004

I recently downloaded a build of Emacs so that I could start using
AUC-TeX again and am encountering what is, I'm sure, a simple problem
that I just can't figure out.

I added Emacs to the dock by dragging the app icon from /Applications.
When I double-click on the icon, emacs launches normally.  When I open
up a TeX file in LaTeX mode, I try to typeset it by typing Ctrl-C,
Ctrl-C, the AUC-TeX macro for starting a shell process that runs latex
on the main file.

The problem?  For some reason the bash process which Emacs fires up has
a different path configuration than the bash process which starts when
I launch Terminal, and does not have the latex executable on its path.
 From Terminal, though, I can start latex by simply typing "latex" at
the command-line.

The weird thing is that if I launch Emacs by typing

	/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

instead of clicking on the Emacs icon, AUC-TeX works fine.  In this
case, the shell process *does* have the latex executable on its path.

Any suggestions on what might need to be changed would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>