[OS X TeX] Praise for TeXniscope

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Thu Nov 25 16:17:27 CET 2004

On 25 Nov 2004, at 16:06, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> I second Joachim's praise of TeXniscope.
>
> Let me make a modest request for some additional features in
> TeXniscope:
>
> - When a line is selected in a pdf window via a script (see below),
> it should be highlighted

TeXniscope does not understand (so far) the concept of line of text
(from the beginning to the end) all pdfsync does is to associate points
in the PDF to lines in the source. So TeXniscope can only mark the
point associated to that source line and that is what it does. If
someone can explain to me how to track whole source lines to the
relevant boxes in the pdf I will add some code for that. The only
program I know of that can do similar things is xdvi but I still
haven't managed to understand the relative code (and it works with dvi
and not pdf).

> - There should be an option for continuous scrolling.

what do you mean by continuous scrolling?

> - There should be an option - for aesthetically reasons only - that
> should disable the coloured boxes when hyperref is active, like in
> Preview, at least if the "Sync Marks" are hidden.

Ok that is resonable and easy to implement I will add to the next
release (actually the green boxes where there for debugging....). I
agreee that hyperlinks in Preview style are more elegant.

As a general remark: somebody suggested to add searching capabilities
like in Preview or Acrobat. Unfortunately Apple PDF framework (or
Adobe's) is not public and if we want to implement search in PDF we had
to write all the code, which I think will be hard. Tiger will contain a
PDF framework so much development of the PDF support will be useless
once Tiger will be released.

massimiliano

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>