[OS X TeX] Textencoding MacOS Roman vs UTF-8

Stephan Hochhaus stephan at yauh.de
Mon Nov 22 11:21:02 CET 2004

Hello,

Am 21.11.2004 um 17:19 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

> What encoding do you use and why? I think, the MacOS Roman/applemac
> encoding is very specific and unique. And UTF-8 is more compatible.
> But I'm really a greenhorn concerning that matter.
I am using UTF8 because I used to work with the applemac encoding and
ran into problems every once in a while when I had to switch to a
different machine (!= Mac). Now that I teach a LaTeX class where
everyone uses latin1 encoding this is really annoying because I have to
manually change the inputenc line when they send source code via email,
but I am very happy with utf8.
If you have to switch between different machines and those are mainly
linux/windows powered, then you should probably go for latin1 because
most text editors can handle that very well. But only if you don't
intend to enter very exotic chars into your tex documents. Honestly I
must say that I hardly ever use characters that are available in
unicode but not latin1.

Stephan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>