[OS X TeX] Textures LaTeX -> teTeX/TeXShop/iTeX LaTeX

Ludger Hentschel hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Thu Nov 18 23:25:56 CET 2004

>But now my problem: TeXTures doesn't work on Mac OSX 10.3.6, and
>recent. I'm in the process of changing to TeXShop (appreciating much
>help from Dick Koch).  I would again like to use \include and
>\includeonly when doing individual chapters of the book. And also, I'm
>trying to find an easy way to manage and include all the figures I
>choose to have in this text. I do not want to go back to Mac OS 9, or
>earlier.

If you have a proper installation of teTeX you should be able to
convert your document by

1) printing/saving your SuperPaint graphics files to PS files
2) converting the PS files to PDF (using pstopdf or Distiller)
3) updating the way your document inserts graphics to
    \includegraphics[width=xin]{figure.pdf}
4) running pdflatex on your document

If you want PS output, you can convert the PS files to EPS and then run latex.

La/TeX allows for application-specific commands through the \special
command. Any of your private macros that use \special commands
probably have to be updated. LaTeX macros that use \special commands
will mostly work fine because your new LaTeX installation was created
for teTeX. An unfortunate exception to this is pict files in LaTeX
documents. In Textures, there were 2 ways of incorporating pict
graphics in LaTeX documents

\(center)picture width by height (picturename scaled nnnn), or

\includegraphics[natwidth=xin natheight=yin]{figure.pict}.

Neither of these will work in teTeX.

I think it is best to convert the figures to standard LaTeX. You can
do this by converting your figures to eps or pdf (see below) and then
saying

\includegraphics[width=xin]{figure.eps}, or

\includegraphics[width=xin]{figure.pdf}

If you did not use it before, you must also add \usepackage{graphicx}
at the beginning of your document.

I gather your graphics were created in SuperPaint. If I recall
correctly, SuperPaint cannot export files to a modern grahpics
format. You can, however, save/print your SuperPaint documents to
PostScript files using Classic/OS 9's print engine. A substantial
benefit of this is that Illustrator, for example, will correctly
understand many of the graphics elements in their vector form. This
means you can edit your graphics files in Illustrator more or less as
though they had been created with Illustrator in the first place. If
you don't wish to edit the graphics, you can convert the PS files to
pdf using pstopdf or Distiller. (Note that Illustrator can open your
SuperPaint pict files directly, but in my experience conversion
through PS works better.)

As far as I know, \includeonly should work as before.

Regards,

Ludger
Ludger Hentschel
William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration
Box 270100, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627--0100
Phone: (585) 275--1058, Fax: (585) 273--1140
E-mail: mailto:hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Web: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/fac/hentschel
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>