[OS X TeX] Referring to arbitrary labels?

Mohinish Shukla shukla at sissa.it
Thu Nov 18 17:22:47 CET 2004

Dear Claus,
	thanks for your reply.
However, in the field of psychology (at least), the Experiment is an
important 'level' (with Methods, Results & Discussion as sublevels),
and it is sometimes most appropriate to refer to the entire experiment
as a whole, rather than just the result.
	So, using your advice, I know define a theorem in the preamble:

\newtheorem{expt}{E}
\setcounter{expt}{1}

And for those sections that are experiments, I use the following (the
addcounters might not be necessary?):

\section[Experiment \arabic{expt}: Nice test of my model.]{Experiment
\arabic{expt}}
\addtocounter{expt}{-1}
\begin{expt}
Nice test of my model.
\label{exx1}
\end{expt}
\addtocounter{expt}{1}

This gives appropriate chapter titles, and what looks like a
title-line; and looks good in the toc as well.. Not the most elegant,
but it certainly works appropriately. Any suggestions would be most
welcome :)

Thanks!
Mohinish

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>