[OS X TeX] OT: where lines align

Andreas Gschwendtner gschwendtner at gmx.com
Thu Nov 18 10:42:05 CET 2004

Jan,

I don't think I can fully answer your question, but indeed I was
stumbling over the same problem  when I was writing my thesis (using
LaTeX with KOMA-Script), so may be I can contribute a little bit...

Short version: It is very hard (practically impossible) to do this kind
of "grid-typesetting" (where lines align over a page spread) in LaTeX
(if \flushbottom is active = all the pages are of the same height). I
think it is possible in ConTeXt, though. For some people, this is the
main reason for using ConTeXt and not LaTeX (AFAIK). I know I read it
somewhere in the ConTeXt documentation by Hans Hagen, but don't
remember where...

Longer version: In TeX there is the concept of horizontal and vertical
"glue" (="flexible space"). This comes in very handy if you have lots
of small figures, tables and *formulas*. Because TeX was written for
mathematical typesetting primarily (= lots of formulas within the
text), it was not that much of a problem, if lines didn't align across
pages. In LaTeX, if you use the \flushbottom option (which is the
default for two-sided documents), you have very little (no?) control
over the amount of flexible space ("vertical glue") that is inserted
between paragraphs, headings, floats and so on. This sometimes leads to
very weird results if you have very short paragraphs and little text
but lots of headings and many floats and tables. I think this behaviour
is one of the biggest hindrances of producing really good typography
with LaTeX.

If something I wrote is wrong, I would be happy if am corrected. I have
been suffering from this shortcoming of LaTeX myself for a long time...

Andreas

P.S.: You might be interested in the article "Book Design for TeX
Users" by Philip Taylor which I can send to you off-list if you are
interested (it is also available on the internet somewhere, maybe a
google search will help...).

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>