[OS X TeX] pdftex in TL2004

Ludger Hentschel hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Tue Nov 16 20:59:19 CET 2004

Maybe more to the point, pdftex 1.20+ completely ignores pdftex.cfg
files regardless of where they are.

To change the pdftex defaults, you now have to set the relevant
parameters somewhere near the beginning of your document, in a
pre-compiled format, or in pdftexconfig.tex. (There may be other
choices of which I am not aware.)

This drastic change in operation stumped me for a while when I
updated my pdftex. Fortunately, the pdftex manual is actually quite
explicit and helpful on this matter.

Regards,

Ludger

At 20:00 -0500 11/15/04, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:
>Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] pdftex in TL2004
>From: "Gerben Wierda" <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl>
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:08:12 +0100
>
>Put
>
>	\pdfmapfile{+myfonts.map}
>
>in your document. I*think* you could add it to
>
>	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex
>
>but I am uncertain what happens with such an entry if you use the
>standard teTeX commands that influence the file.

>On 15 Nov 2004, at 17:16, Vinayak Vatsal wrote:
>
>>  Hi Gerben,
>>
>>  I'm wondering if you can explain to me privately how pdftex gets its
>>  map files in the latest TL 2004 distribution. I previously used a
>>  custom written pdftex.cfg map placed in ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/ but it
>>  seems that no longer works.
>>
>>  I used my own file because I was doing a lot of fiddling with fonts
>>  and changing map files frequently, and I'd like to keep doing this,
>>  rather than running updmap every time I change something. Is this
>>  still possible under the new system??
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>
>>  Nike Vatsal

Ludger Hentschel
William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration
Box 270100, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627--0100
Phone: (585) 275--1058, Fax: (585) 273--1140
E-mail: mailto:hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Web: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/fac/hentschel
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>