[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Nov 16 00:40:38 CET 2004

On Nov 15, 2004, at 4:34 PM, Jan Eden wrote:
<snips-a-lot>
> The most common type of a normal user even refuses to use a Mac, since
> the learning curve is too steep. Many people tend to stick with
> whatever system they got to know the first time they encountered
> computers.
>
> And this is, unfortunately, Microsoft Word on a computer running the
> Microsoft Windows OS.

The only argument I've ever made successfully is the statement "So, do
you think all of the people using TeX haven't used Word many times, if
only by force? Then why do they still use LaTeX? Unless they are fools,
there must be a very valid reason. Let me give you a few, but again,
you have to have some faith that these people aren't idiots." I also
volunteer to be their permanent support person. After a few weeks, they
rarely need any help, so it's not much burden.

Joe

(+1) 937-775-5085
http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>