[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 23:23:32 CET 2004

With all due respect, I would like to disagree some:

Re. Use a Mac. Well, for a long time, there was a money issue. I was
fortunate enough that I was able to afford the second Mac ever. Not
everybody was. One could argue, there was in fact a lot of argument,
about the choice Apple made regarding market share. But ease didn't
enter since, at the time, Mac's WYSIWYG was a lot easier and more
pleasant to use than DOS. I will leave it to others to decide what the
deciding factor(s) were but I recall one of my colleagues scornfully
speaking of my Mac, by then a IIi I believe, as "this nice toy".

Re. Word as the best solution for them. And why not? At this time most
probably. With a "lite" combo as I advocate in another response, maybe
the 95% would begin to dwindle. By the way, did they try Open Office?  I
haven't because the Mac version the last time I tried was not yet user
firendly.

Re. Making LaTeX simple enough. I am simply not convinced that it is not
feasible. I am in fact willing to bet that something like the above
mentioned "lite" version will eventually come to pass.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>