[OS X TeX] no figures in a ps (OT?)

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 15 00:53:38 CET 2004

Hi Hendrik, Bruno, and others,

On 15/11/2004, at 9:53 AM, Hendrik Chaltin wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2004, at 21:41, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> You can see the difference between the two types of fonts
> ... right!
>
>> Hence the jagged output. On my setup the PDF file
>> (created from the PS file using either TeXShop, Preview or Distiller)
>> looks slightly better in Adobe Reader than Preview.
> What do I have to do in order to get the same setup?
>
> Any idea why the figures show up on a PC
> but not on a Mac?

That would probably depend upon what software is being used
for viewing the PostScript (or PDF ?) file on the PC.

Ghostview does a fine job on the Mac (with X11 installed),
and that is commonly used as a viewer on PCs.

Anyway, here's a fix that should work on any platform:

Edit the file    1047674204.ps     as follows.
(that's the downloaded .ps  file; maybe you get a different name)

Change the lines:
    /setpagedevice where{pop/realstpgdev/setpagedevice ld}if

to become:
    /setpagedevice Z %where{pop/realstpgdev/setpagedevice ld}if
                                ^^^^----------- i.e.,  insert 3
characters here

Do this for all 10 instances of that line.
This will nullify the action of   setpagedevice   when it is later
called
  --- quite unnecessarily, and in fact wrong for an included graphic.

Save the edited file.
Run  ps2pdf   or drag its icon to  TeXshop.

Now it should display fine...

    ... except for some obscured characters in the bibliography,
on the 2nd last page.
As yet I don't know what's causing that to happen.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>