[OS X TeX] %&format under pdftex 1.20a/TL 2004

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 11 20:47:38 CET 2004

On 11 nov 2004, at 20:14, Ludger Hentschel wrote:

> If I say "pdftex file" and file.tex has %&format as the first line,
> pdftex does not find the compiled format

This feature can be activated if so desired with from the configuration
file:
     /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Change
     parse_first_line = f
     parse_first_line = t

(by default it is off).

Furthermore, Gary Gray chimes in with:

> I don't know if this helps, but on the page (TeXShop 1.35 changes):
>
> <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/changes.html>
>
> Dick says:
>
> "In previous TeXShop versions, the typesetting program can be set in
> the first line  of the source code by writing %&tex, %&latex,
> %&pdftex, etc. For compatibility reasons,  this still works, but the
> preferred syntax is now %&program=tex, %&program=latex,
> %&program=pdftex, etc. This new syntax also works for any new
> typesetting engine  added to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines. For example,
> %&program=xelatex chooses  XeLaTeX."

This is obviously totally incompatible with activating the
parse_first_line option in the texmf configurations files. Make a
choise (one or the other) and stick to that. Since it seems to me that
you already have quite some files that use teh old construct, stick to
that...

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>