[OS X TeX] Compiled pdftex formats under TL 2004

Ludger Hentschel hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 10 20:54:29 CET 2004

I just updated my TeX installation using i-Installer. I think I now
have TL 2004.

Following the update, I can no longer use compiled pdftex formats.

I can compile formats using "pdftex -ini format.tex" without error.

I can "\include format.tex" in my document and then typeset the
document without error.

I cannot typeset my document using the pre-compiled format. It does
not matter whether I say "pdftex -fmt format file.tex" on the command
line or run pdftex on the file with "%&format" in the first line. In
either event, pdftex chokes on the first macro defined by my format:

pdftex Paper.tex
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
output format initialized to PDF
entering extended mode
(./Paper.tex
(/Users/ludgerhentschel/Library/texmf/tex/My TeX Inputs/lucida10_s.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \quoteoff

I have moved the compiled format into the directory with the document
and get the same errors. There is no indication that pdftex fails to
find the format file.

Any ideas for how to fix this?

Thank you,

Ludger
Ludger Hentschel
William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration
Box 270100, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627--0100
Phone: (585) 275--1058, Fax: (585) 273--1140
E-mail: mailto:hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Web: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/fac/hentschel
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>