[OS X TeX] Problem with lucidabr

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 5 16:03:15 CET 2004

On 5 nov 2004, at 15:54, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 5 nov. 04, à 15:32, Michael Kubovy a écrit :
>
>> Can someone please point me to explicit and detailed instructions for
>> using lucidabr? The ff ligature appears blank in my output, but the
>> font looks right otherwise. Do I need to buy the font?
>
> In case you haven't purchased them: yes, the Lucida Bright and New
> Math fonts aren't free, they must be purchased from Y&Y
> <http://www.yandy.com/> which, however, appears to be temporarily out
> of business (comp.text.tex has some rumouring about this). In case you
> get the fonts, ask for getting them in PFB format, not Mac format
> (which would be a set of FFIL screen suitcases and LWFN printer font
> files appropriate for Classic).

You can use the classic fonts, you just have to convert them to pfb.
The other problem is that they only come on floppy disks, and reading
those might pose a problem. The advantage is that you _can_ use them in
the rest of the system - and you can even translate (some) metapost
output with preview. This feature has saved me a lot of trouble, as the
metapost output for some figures exceeded the capabilities of TeX.

If you don't want or need the use of lucida outside TeX, you're fine
with the Windows or unix pfb fonts.

> You may also try to purchase them from Blue Sky TeX Systems
> <http://www.bluesky.com/>, in which case you're likely to get the Mac
> format version.

Their license to sell the fonts has expired, afaik. At least they
referred me to Y&Y when I asked some years ago.

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>