[OS X TeX] set environment variables for applications

Ralph Pöllath lists at poellath.org
Mon May 24 12:30:58 CEST 2004

Hi,

it's possible to set environment variables for all processes launched
by a specific user (including those launched via Finder), as described
in
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

To sum it up, create a file named ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist (if it
does not yet exist) that looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
     <key>TEXBIB</key>
     <string>/path/to/something</string>
     <key>SOMETHING_ELSE</key>
     <string>/path/to/something_else</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The plist header is slightly different from what's on the page
mentioned above, because Apple introduced version 1.0 of the plist DTD
some time ago.

HTH,
-Ralph.