[OS X TeX] Bibtex paths

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 24 10:49:09 CEST 2004

On 24 May 2004, at 9:34 am, Giulio Cozzi wrote:

> Dear All,
> after many attempts to understand how to set bibtex to search for my
> personal bst files, I need the help of TeX gurus.
> As suggested in the G. Wierda TeX web site I've put these files in the
> following directory :~/Library/texmf/tex/bibtex/bst/. Then I've tried
> to run bibtex as usual but every time I do this I get an error:
>  "The top-level auxiliary file: test.aux
> I couldn't open style file jem.bst
> ---line 14 of file test.aux
>  : \bibstyle{jem
>  :              }"
>  I've tried to run texhash as root to refresh the TeX folders content
> but without positive results. I've also run kpsewhich to see if the
> local paths are recognized and in fact they are but it seems only for
> the .tex,.sty files.
> Could you help me to understand this problem ?

According to "kpsewhich -debug -1 x.bst", the path searched for
BSTINPUTS is

	.:$TEXMF/bibtex/{bst,}//

(and it also searches BIBINPUTS, with a comparable path). Note that
there is no /tex/ level here; it's looking for /bibtex/ directly under
$TEXMF. So I think you want to put your personal .bst files into

	~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/

and then they'll be found. (Or if, for some reason, you really want
/bibtex under /tex, you need to add new BIBINPUTS and BSTINPUTS entries
to your texmf.cnf.)

HTH,

Jonathan