[OS X TeX] Gems from Japan: RPN2TeX and AutoTeX

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Mon May 17 03:34:48 CEST 2004

Re. RPN2TeX

I too was won over by RPN within 10 minutes of using it on the frst
programable HP  (I think it was the 65, so called because it cost $650.
Comm Coll of Phila, where I still teach, bought 6 of them!)

So, it was a natural (except that I did not immediately realize that TeX
was in PN.)

Of course the live previewer did not work for this Install-Idiot (I-I)
and this is where I am asking for help:

    How, if at all possible, do I make the preview work with the Gerben
    Wierda installed TeXshop?

It would be even nicer if, in addition to the menu commands, it had a
panel like TeXshop's Latex and Matris panels.
In fact, I wondered if it could be modified to be
incorporated/installed/plugged in into TeXshop .

Which raises the more general question, at least in my mind. Why
aren'there keyboard commands for at least the most common commands in
the Latex panel?

And, to return, might there eventually be a "switch" whereby the "blue"
in the tex window could be made invisible?

TeXFoG is also nice. Again, modified as a "panel" plugged in into
TeXshop, it might help a lot of beginners used to MS Word's MathType. It
also occurs to me that for those who are way past this entry stage
and/or allergic to this or that "entry system", the possibility of
"disconnecting" any or all of them might be the answer.

Regards to all
--schremmer

P. S. A couple of asides regarding some recent exchanges not totally
irrelevant to the above.

When it comes to get into cold water, there are two kinds of people.
There are those who like to jump in and get it over with once they have
recovered their breath and there are those who are so afraid of losing
their breath that they would rather go in very, very slowly. The end
result, though, is really the same as even the second kind eventually
gets into the water a lot faster than when they first started.

I am making (very slow) progress in learning TeX and, as an aside to a
recent discussion as to how crucial Live Typesetting really is, I would
like to say here that for a beginner like myself, being able to typeset
as I go is a great learning tool. And, in fact, I am already beginning
to typeset just a tiny little bit less often.

I wish there was something like it for students when they learn to "make
a case for" (i. e.,  in a very informal way, "prove")  a mathematical
statement.