[OS X TeX] Focus (was: Various TeX programs on Mac)

Graham A. Niblo G.A.Niblo at soton.ac.uk
Sat May 8 16:38:37 CEST 2004

While there is much in what Joachim there are situations where the
linear text editor input gets in the way of good communication. The
principal area where this seems to be a problem is when using tex to
produce presentation slides where the nesting of slides and overlays
quickly gets confusing, and where the emphasis on paragraphs and pages
is inappropriate. The TeX engine is of course designed around the
concept of boxes and these are more natural units when designing and
manipulating slides, and a non-linear editor that enabled one to layout
boxes on the page then ask TeX to fill them with specified content
would be a big leap forward. AN interactive system that allowed one to
adjust the box sizes and get Tex to reset the content on the fly would
be even better. This does go against the philosophy of focussing on
meaning rather than appearance, but too little focus on appearance can
cloud the meaning, as anyone who has sat through a presentation
consisting of pages from a paper will attest.

My ideal would be a window or pane in which one uses drawing tools to
specify containers (boxes) and a text input window where one enters tex
code. Selecting a container allows one to edit it's shape using drawing
tools, or to specify its content by typing tex into the input window.

Having said all this much of this functionality is offered using
Equation editor (or pdf cut and paste) together with Keynote and better
integration with Keynote might be a better solution. A Keynote plugin
that rendered text using the TeX engine would be the perfect solution.

Graham