[OS X TeX] Very good introduction IMHO

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu May 6 10:05:23 CEST 2004

> Am 06.05.2004 um 08:43 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> I am just willing to emphasize how good is IMHO the introductory text
>> proposed by Rebecca Weber (quoted below). It would be a pity to let it
>> go unnoticed among the deluge of mails from the above thread. I wish I
>> had such an introduction when I discovered TeX the hard way, with only
>> a background in MacWrite II and Expressionist, a box containing the
>> Textures floppies, a copy of the TeXbook, no internet connection and
>> nobody to get help from.
>
> Word! ;)
> This is a *very* nice intro.
> Very, very nice.

I agree, this is a very nice intro. Not having it in front of me now I did
catch a few things, like the use of the word 'command' (which could be
anything, a menu-action, a button push, etc. So 'command' might be
explained in terms of the difference between content-text and
formatting-text or something like that.

Secondly I got the feeling that it sort of assumes you understand HTML
(<html></html>) and that might not be good.

A good text (and short! lshort.pdf is 127 pages of technical stuff and is
about writing, not compiling TeX) like that could be part of the
installer. Put it in RTF on the Desktop and open it (if the user wants it
of course).