[OS X TeX] \label{n!} yields "n\protect !" in the margin

Frank STENGEL fstengel at menara.ma
Wed Mar 31 19:54:30 CEST 2004

Le 31 mars 04, à 17:19, Hendrik Chaltin a écrit :

> Dear colisters,
>
> If I choose as label
> \label{n!}
> , I get, on the preview,
> n\protect !
> in the margin.
> According to Kopka & Daly 3rh ed. p. 224 ! is not one of the
> "forbidden" symbols
> and according to the 4th ed. p. 211 there are actually none (?!?).

I gather you are using french / frenchb(babel) : ! and other
punctuation signs are active characters and could do weird things to
the \ref\label mechanism. I have not been able to reproduce what you
describe with frenchb/babel. Another package must be interfering...
--
Frank STENGEL (stengelf<at>menara.ma)
               (fstengel<at>nordnet.fr)