[OS X TeX] Bug in TeXShop 1.34?

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Fri Mar 26 23:04:53 CET 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Aditya Dushyant Trivedi wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>

>>> I have set the file using the %SourceDoc macro at the first line of
>>> each chapter file. It works as expected. however, if I open two
> .> chapters, TeXShop will open another copy of the root file
> (book1.tex)
>>> and the output file book1.pdf. It happens for all the chapter files I
>>> have.
>
>> It does not happen to me.
>
> Seeing other ppl could not reproduce what I claimed, I checked again.
> I could not reproduce the bug if I created new files. It however
> persisted in my current files.
>
> Those files have moved from Mac -> PC -> Mac. After playing around for
> a while I figured why it happens. Resource forks!!

Install this contextual menu plugin and you can easily remove resource
forks.

http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/grim_ripper.html

It has an interesting icon -- the beheading of a resource fork. =:o

>  When you copy mac files say book1.tex ona FAT32 file system, it
> creates a file called ._book1.tex. While on a PC, I had deleted those
> files. However, getting those files on a Mac again and using TeXShop,
> the unpleasant behavior starts.

If you are using the PC to store files you are working on, you don't
need to delete the ._ files.

But sometimes these hidden files show up even when you don't have a
resource fork when copying files to a PC. Anyone know why?

I don't believe TeXShop creates a resource fork? Does it, Dick, if you
are listening!?!?

> So, my advice to anyone who is cross platforming, when on windows, do
> not delete files starting with ._ . Otherwise you start believing that
> TeXShop has a bug. All you have is a corrupted file.
>
> Sorry about that. My apologies to Richard Koch.

A good man.