[OS X TeX] Lobbying for Reply-To as it used to be

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Mar 24 00:57:49 CET 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 00:24, Will Robertson wrote:

>> (The argument about the original poster perhaps receiving
>> a duplicate copy of the email is quite immaterial --- especially
>> given the high level of spamming and other spurious postings
>> that arrive every day.)
>
> I disagree that it's immaterial. But I'm prepared to live with it.

When you get deeper in a thread, it starts to expand a bit, 3-4 people
+ the list is no exception.

I dislike sending people multiple copies or sending stuff to a list and
some of its members seperately. I intensely dislike receiving spam but
for the same reason also sending unneeeded messages and both in my
opinion are far from immaterial.

For me, people replying to my postings generate mutiple messages in my
mail system which Mail.app handles not so well (depending on the phase
of the moon, the messages end up in the filtered list mailbox or my
inbox).

So, I like sending *either* to the list *or* to the poster. In both
cases there is some address editing to be done in either situation of
the list behaviour.

Important is, how much is personal and how much group reply? On this
list, the large majority of my replies should go to all. I think that
holds (less than in the past, I concede that) for this llist as well.

The current situation means a lot more address editing than in the
former situation, where I had to do address editing once a month, and
now on every post.

This is apart from the point that I need to send so much email on so
many different subjects and targets that 'defaults' become important. I
can live happily with the default that the reply goes to the list (in
this case) because that is what I have to do in 99% of the cases
anyway.

On other lists I subscribe to the situation is opposite. I see no clear
pro or con for either technique, it depends on the role of the list.