[OS X TeX] Lobbying for Reply-To as it used to be

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon Mar 22 22:28:38 CET 2004

On Mar 22, 2004, at 4:07 PM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2004, at 3:34 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> Eek! This has certainly generated some interesting discussion. As the
>> person who "maintains" this list, I am perfectly happy to set it up
>> either way....
>
> [snip]
>
>> Instead, I will do the following (I may be sorry for doing this).
>> Send an email message to me....
>
> 	Most likely!  ;)
>
> 	Although I am guilty of having spoken out strongly on one side, this
> seems to be an issue that ought to have a technological solution --
> namely, the preference for whether replies default to the list or the
> sender ought to be able to be set on a individual basis for *each
> subscriber*.  I have no idea what is involved to have the mailing list
> software manage these preferences, but I can think of a "poor man's
> solution:"  have two lists, each with distinct "Reply-to" headers to
> accommodate either view.  Subscribe to your preference.  Anything
> posted to one obviously would have to automatically appear on the
> other for this approach to be an actual solution.
>
> 	No doubt the technical details are substantially more involved than I
> could conceive -- some clever filtering would be necessary to prevent
> infinite recursion of messages being bounced between lists -- but I
> fail to see why such a general approach that empowers the subscriber
> (not necessarily involving two separate lists) could not be feasible.
>
> 	In its absence I forecast this "discussion" will reappear at least
> once a year as some relatively new (or cranky old) subscriber
> advocates publicly for the other way.
>
>                                         -- Mike
>
> P.S. I debated whether to send this message only to Gary or the list.
> In the end I chose the latter, in the hope that someone else might
> have experience with a more flexible mailing list setup and be able to
> provide some useful input.

I like your idea, but I have NO idea how to implement it. I am
currently using LetterRip for the mailing list because it is easy to
set up and configure. I plan on learning Mailman some time in the
future, but I don't even think Mailman can do what you suggest (someone
please correct me if I am wrong).

-- Gary