[OS X TeX] pdftex error

Lorant Olasz lorant at kth.se
Fri Mar 19 10:47:01 CET 2004

On 19 mar 2004, at 02.02, Herb Schulz wrote:

> On 3/18/04 6:47 PM, "Lorant Olasz" <lorant at kth.se> wrote:
>
>> For the past day I've been trying to get a working latex installation,
>> first with fink and then with I-installer. Installation process
>> produces no errors. However, when trying to compile a file with pdftex
>> I get the following error:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.3 \documentclass
>>                 [10pt]{article}
>>

> Howdy,
>
> One possibility...try running pdflatex rather than pdftex.

Thanks, running pdflatex works. The question is why pdftex doesn't?

And, yes, a space somehow slipped in between [10pt] and {article} in my
original mail, but it's not there in my tex doc.

>> Also I could not run
>> pdftex example
>> as the example.tex file is not found by pfdtex.

It seems that the example.tex file for pdftex is not included in the
i-installer distribution. Explains why it can't be found. Problem still
stands that when I was experimenting with the fink distribution of
tetex the file was there but could not be found anyway, although path
variables seemed to be in order. I suspect that this problem could have
something to do with pdftex not recognizing commands as well, or?

Since for now I can produce output with pdflatex, I think I'm done
experimenting with installations for a while...
Cheers,
Lorant