[OS X TeX] TeXShop features, AppleScripting

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 24 09:32:30 CEST 2004

On 24 jun 2004, at 7:08, Martin Steer wrote:

> Jérôme Laurens <jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr> writes:
>
>> I did not know that emacs was managing project files. Can you point me
>> on doc explaining how emacs manages projects?
>
> Sorry Jérôme (and list), I was too hasty. I was thinking of how
> emacs/auctex/reftex can be used to manage multiple tex files which are
> part of a single document -- if they are included files, they need not
> be open, but can all be listed or opened from the current working file,
> and tocs, labels and so on accessed. I acknowledge that this is a
> different matter from managing a project which might contain multiple
> documents and non-text files.
>
> I guess the basic strategy of listing items in a control file, so that
> they are accessible from any listed file, could be adapted to projects.

I use a the same strategy: the master document is the control file,
most files you could ask for are listed there anyway. I wrote some
scripts (for BBEdit) so that I can quickly open the master document
from any of the child documents (search for the %SourceDoc directive,
and open the file it points at) and another script that allows me to
open an \input'ted or \include'd file (by referencing from the
directory where the master is in. As a bonus, that script also opens
the metapost source for a file included with \includegraphics (if it
exists).

Personally I don't feel I need a separate project file, maybe some
added directives to open external documentation, support-files, and
things like related Mathematica notebooks, Igor projects, etc. With
BBEdit, and probably iTeXMac, such things can easily be added with
AppleScript (And at least on BBEdit: you can assign a keyboard shortcut
to your own commands).

OTOH, IIUTC the program TeXNicCenter
(http://www.texniccenter.org/front_content.php?idcat=26) uses the
project file to store indexing information to aid in inserting
references, just like build directory Xcode uses. A project file might
be useful for that.

Regards,

Maarten