[OS X TeX] TeXShop features, AppleScripting

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 24 14:52:38 CEST 2004

On 23 jun 2004, at 18:13, Kannan Moudgalya wrote:

> A related question: I always feel uneasy when I have to come up with
> label
> numbers.  This becomes especially bad when there are a lot of labels to
> make.    I now label the equations as {eq:prefix_number}, where prefix
> denotes the subject area and number is in increments of 100.  The idea
> is
> that I can insert equations, if required, without worrying about what
> new
> numbers to give for them.  I have the following questions:  (1) What
> styles do others follow?  (2) Is there a code that can renumber/rename
> all
> the labels in a consistent fashion?  Thanks.

This topic is discusses once in a while on ctt, I suggest you hit
Google/Groups for more opinions than my own.

I never use numbers in my labels, in part because they are so hard to
recall. I usually give my chapters a short name, say "intro". equations
then get a name like "intro:sect:eq:newtons-first-law". the sect bit
gets replaced by the section name (only for really long chapters).
Since I'm in physics, quite a number of equations have a name, which
makes referencing easy. Most of the time they relate two quantities (at
least the equations I use ;) and then I use the names of the two
quantities.

As to request 2: a perl filter might be able to do so, but I'm not
around to try it ;)

Maarten