[OS X TeX] trim pdf figures

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 22 22:48:21 CEST 2004

On 22 jun 2004, at 21:27, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:30:55AM -0400, Marcelo LaFleur wrote:
>> I use Apple's Preview. You can  select a box around the graphic and
>> just
>> crop the page.
>
> How safe is this for prepress purposes?
>
> I am asking, because last week I ran into an obscure problem with an
> OS X-generated pdf (producer `Mac OS X 10.3.x Quartz PDFContext',
> which is what you get by this procedure), and there have been
> discussions on the web about how suitable OS X native pdf support is
> for prepress.

It _should_ be PDF/X compliant. Have you submitted the faulty file to
Apple for closer inspection?

> Panther has a command-line distiller pstopdf which is rumored to be
> basically the Adobe distiller, and to be prepress-safe. I have been
> using it for my last project in combination with a Perl script fitps:

The pstopdf tool is Apple's distiller (i.e. the same routines Preview
uses to interpret a .ps file). For writing the result, it uses the same
Quartz PDFContext you had trouble with. I suggest you have a close look
at the output (file info in acrobat reader).

[snip]

> This code has become part of epstopdf from teTeX, which uses
> Ghostscript instead of pstopdf and also contains a lot of code to
> interpret command-line option.

?? I assume this is a reference to the script shown before? epstopdf is
also part of gwtex, and uses ghostscript (it never relied on pdtopdf).

Regards,

Maarten
--
All my accounts use SPAM filters. Your reply might be caught in these
filters, so if you do not receive an answer from me in due time, either