[OS X TeX] trim pdf figures

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 22 22:43:22 CEST 2004

Le 22 juin 04, à 21:27, Siep Kroonenberg a écrit :

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:30:55AM -0400, Marcelo LaFleur wrote:
>> I use Apple's Preview. You can  select a box around the graphic and
>> just
>> crop the page.
>
> How safe is this for prepress purposes?

I have noticed that cropping a graphical file inside Preview.app does
not affect the file size significantly. Hence it looks like only the
viewport is modified, not the content of the file itself.

> I am asking, because last week I ran into an obscure problem with an
> OS X-generated pdf (producer `Mac OS X 10.3.x Quartz PDFContext',
> which is what you get by this procedure), and there have been
> discussions on the web about how suitable OS X native pdf support is
> for prepress.
>
> Panther has a command-line distiller pstopdf which is rumored to be
> basically the Adobe distiller, and to be prepress-safe. I have been
> using it for my last project in combination with a Perl script fitps:

Beware, when using Panther's Distiller together with TeX: I have
processed recently a LaTeX file, based on the hyperref package, in the
TeX + Ghostscript mode of TeXShop, and noticed that if Panther's
Distiller is used instead of Ghostscript (as set in
Preferences/Misc/Distiller):

- The bookmarks are suppressed.

- The hyperlinks are suppressed, in the sense that their text is still
there, it looks like a hyperlink, but it works no longer as a
hyperlink.

Bruno Voisin