[OS X TeX] Virtual PC

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Sun Jun 20 19:31:56 CEST 2004

Hi Amy,

On Jun 18, 2004, at 10:10 AM, Amy Lee Wangsness wrote:

> On 17 jun 2004, at 02.52, I Made Yulistya Negara wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> Sometimes I work with windows software. I use PB G4 and OS X.
>> Is there someone, who have experience with virtual PC?
>> would you like share your experience
>

> /Peder
> +46-90-786.7719 (work)
> +46-90-32344 (home)
>
> My experience with Virtual PC has been horrendous.  I never use it
> at all, because I have never gotten anything to work on it properly,
> and it has often crashed on me besides.  Initially, I tried to run the
> LaTeX typesetting program, WinEdt, on Virtual PC on my OS9
> platform, but gave up.  I have yet to uninstall Virtual PC from my
> computer, but I also have yet to use it for anything.  I will NOT
> try it again.
>
> Amy
>

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Virtual PC
> From: "Peder Axensten" <peder at axensten.se>
> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:35:22 +0200
>
> Really, what connection does this have to TeX on Mac OS X?

It's applicable because of cross platform work. Work cross platform
work is a reality lots of us have to face.

I don't use virtual PC--just running a 800MHz G4 iBook and figure it
lacks the horsepower for an emulator--but do work cross platform
because of my employer.  I have a copy of VPC but have never installed
it because it probably uses kernel extensions or some other
destabilizing add-ons from MS.

Instead of VPC, I use a older PC running Windows 2000 Adv Server and
connect via Windows Terminal Services and MS's Remote Desktop
Connection, a drag and drop app. This works out pretty well, most of
the time. I can screen capture and the like via Remote Desktop
Connection and transfer the images for local use via a samba
connection.

Theoretically Remote Desktop Connection can use both the remote disk
storage and the disk storage on the Mac, but this disk sharing does not
work with all machines, apparently including fairly new iBooks.

I also telecommute and connect to our company VPN using the Windows VPN
client and Remote Desktop Connection. Our VPN is configured in an
onerous manner which does not work well with the Mac VPN client. It
used to work fine, the VPN configuration changed.

  I would assume if one has enough power to run Virtual PC that this
process of grabbing and transferring image files in a production
setting and working on a VPN would be much more efficient since no
extra network communication is needed.

It's all part of my workflow, which is centered around TeX on a Mac. I
work in a commercial setting with a limited hardware budget and always
benefit from hearing other TeX user's experiences with cross platform
tools and utilities. I don't think any of this stuff is done in a
vacuum.