[OS X TeX] Re: How to reformat a heading

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jun 13 17:40:51 CEST 2004

On 6/13/04 10:28 AM, "Richard Burton" <burtonr at telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up on the titlesec package - forgot about that
> one. Though I am stll curious as to whether it is better in practice to
> redefine some of the lower level commands or just add commands at a
> higher level (as per example in original post).
>
> Richard

Howdy,

I guess my feeling is to always use the highest level that is appropriate.
Unfortunately the \@startsection command only allows fairly simple
formatting in its last argument and certainly no ``post-processing''
commands after the argument (without some very sophisticated tricks) like
that rule under the section title.

To do that properly you either have to go to a lower level---basically
re-defining the complete sectioning command almost from scratch---or use a
package like titlesec which redefines the sectioning commands and give you
more control of the contents.

In any event there are probably designs that can't even be done within the
titlesec package and that will leave only one recourse.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)