[OS X TeX] fourier package

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jun 10 18:27:54 CEST 2004

On 6/10/04 10:25 AM, "Lawrence Paulson" <lp15 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> The LaTeX Companion mentions the fourier package, but it doesn't seem
> to be installed with the standard TeXShop / I-Installer setup. It is
> included on the CD, but I'm worried that this might mess up my TeX
> installation. How do you install fourier?
>
> Larry Paulson

Howdy,

I suggest you get the complete directory that is needed from CTAN

<http://www.ctan.org/getfile/?filename=fonts/fourier-GUT/&preferredCTAN=tug.
ctan.org&action=/tex-archive/fonts/fourier-GUT/>

rather than try to grab it from the TLC2 TeX CD since the files are already
"scattered" around on the CD. Get the .tar.gz download since the .zip
download seems to be empty.

Gerben already has the Utopia fonts in his distribution although they aren't
activated by default. You don't have to activate them seperately; activating
the maps for fourier will use those fonts within fourier.

There is a README file in the CTAN distribution that is a help. I place the
files in a personal texmf tree in the corresponding place it would be in the
regular texmf tree; e.g., the /fonts/type1/public/fourier/ directory in that
download goes into ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/public/ directory in your
personal texmf tree, etc.

The last thing you need to do is go into Terminal and execute

sudo updmap --enable Map fourier.map

give your admin password when prompted and wait for the maps to be updated.

You should be able to use the fourier-GUTenburg fonts by adding

\usepackage{fourier}

to your preamble.

Let me know how things go.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)