[OS X TeX] sectioning format

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jul 30 01:09:28 CEST 2004

I would like to achieve the following look:

	01. Section 1 Name
	1. Text in a numbered paragraph …
	   Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …

	2. Text in a numbered paragraph …
	   Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …

I get it when I enter the paragraph numbers by hand in:

	\begin{document}
		\section{Section 1 name}
			\paragraph{1.}
				Text in this numbered paragraph …

				Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …

			\paragraph{2.}
				Text in this numbered paragraph …

				Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …

	\end document

The following does not number the required paragraphs at all.

	\begin{document}
		\section{Section 1 name}
			\paragraph{}
				Text in this numbered paragraph …

				Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …
			\paragraph{}
				Text in this numbered paragraph …

				Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …
	\end document

When I add in the preamble

		\setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}

the paragraphs do get numbered but as follows:

	01. Section 1 Name
	0.1.0.0.1  Text in a numbered paragraph …
	   Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …

	0.1.0.0.2  Text in a numbered paragraph …
	   Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …

Is there a way to get rid of the leading 0.1.0.0.?
Companion2ed, bottom page 25 says "Thus, by changing the counter
representation commands, it is possible to change the number displayed
by a sectioning command." I tinkered a bit from the examples, including
with \@parcntformat, but I think that it is still beyond what I can do
at this point.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the leading 0 in

	01. Section 1 Name

Regards
--schremmer

P. S. I had used asparaenum to obtain that effect, which was clunky but
seemed to give me what I wanted, but I just realized that
	Text in a new, unnumbered paragraph …
is not treated the same way after
	\begin{asparaenum}
	\item
as after \section. Hence my attempt to use \paragraph instead.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>