[OS X TeX] Finding pdftex.cfg

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Jul 19 15:43:58 CEST 2004

> On 7/15/04 12:37 PM, "Herb Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
>> I agree that ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/ is the most intuitive
> place for a copy of pdftex.cfg. I tried this first, but it did not
> work.
>
> I now think the "right" way of making pdftex find pdftex.cfg when
> using my custom format is to create an entry in texmf.cnf that looks
> something like
>
> TEXINPUTS.myformat = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//
>
> It is my impression that I should not modify any files in the
> /usr/local/tetex/... tree. Maybe texmf.cnf is an exception. Maybe I
> should place the modified version of texmf.cnf in ~/library/texmf/...
>
> Before sorting this out more clearly, I will live with the current
> arrangement.

In fact this is the right solution. One update of pdfTeX (over a year ago)
removed the built-in way to find pdftex.cfg. For my distribution I added a
few of the missing ENVVAR.formatname variables. If you create your own,
you need to make such a variable or pdfTeX is unable to find pdftex.cfg.

The current TeX Live developments include a complete overhaul of the paths
and search system. Live with this solution. Later this year a new TeX
release will hopefully have a cleaner setup.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>