[OS X TeX] Pre-compiled custom formats for PDFTeX

Ludger Hentschel hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Wed Jul 14 20:27:04 CEST 2004

I am struggling with the switch from Textures to teTeX. After much
help from searching the various TeX groups and lists, I seem to have
solved most of my problems. One remaining annoyance is that teTeX
cannot reliably find pre-compiled custom formats for pdftex.

I mostly run tex/pdftex via the Terminal window using scripts from
BBEdit. Issuing the commands directly in the Terminal or from the
scripts produces identical results.

I have successfully compiled my preferred macros for pdftex. When I
place the format and a copy of pdftex.cfg in the same directory as
the document, everything runs fine if the document starts with
%&myformat. In other words, "pdftex document.tex" produces the
expected results without error messages.

If, instead, I place myformat.fmt in a convenient folder like
library/texmf/tex/formats/myformat.fmt, pdftex apparently does not
find the format file, defaults to plain, and chokes on the first
"undefined control sequence."

I have other input files stored in library/texmf/tex/... that tex and
pdftex find without incident.

I have tried "sudo texhash" without improvement. (texhash seems to
operate only on the tree in \usr\local\teTeX..., so I did not expect
much from this.)

Also, if I don't place a copy of pdftex.cfg in the same directory as
the document, pdftex says "Error: pdftex (file pdftex.cfg): cannot
open config file." This occurs even though pdftex does not complain
that it cannot find pdftex.cfg when I use the plain format with
pdftex. (The default copy of pdftex.cfg appears to be located at
\usr\local\teTeX\share\texmf.local\pdftex\config\pdftex.cfg.)

My format files contain extensions of plain TeX and do not rely on LaTeX.

Ludger
Ludger Hentschel
William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration
Box 270100, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627--0100
Phone: (585) 275--1058, Fax: (585) 273--1140
E-mail: mailto:hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Web: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/fac/hentschel