[OS X TeX] Intertext like command

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 03:31:26 CEST 2004

On 14 Jul 2004, at 10:27 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> And here is my question. How come I already had the mdwTools but the
> .sty files were not already in My/Library/texmf/tex/latex before I put
> them in?

That because there's more than one place you can properly put sty
files. In fact, there are four in Gerben's TeX distribution. So to see
if you have something, you'll need to look in:

1  ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex
(which is where you put your own files like this)

2  /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/
(where *most* of them will be)

3  /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/
(where stuff that Gerben adds goes)

4  /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/
(another place you can put your own files, and where Gerben puts
optional extras)

HOWEVER, no need to look manually. In Terminal (the one in the
Utilities folder), you should be able to type "kpsewhich mdwlist.sty"
(without the quotes), for example, and it will return the file path if
you have it installed. But it has the be the exact filename. It will
not find documentation files, unfortunately.

Try some others, like "kpsewhich geometry.sty" "kpsewhich memoir.cls"
to get the hang of what it does.

> Does this mean that I have other stuff that I am not aware of and that
> I have to do something to somehow "activate" them? Where can I find
> this type of instruction?

They will all be activated, you just have to know to use them in your
documents. For example in your case, from day 1 you could have used
mdwlist in your documents, you just didn't know they were there. *I*
didn't know mdwlist was there, as a matter of fact.

But don't worry --- there's heaps of packages that I don't know are
there. Occasionally I have a browse around down there and surprise
myself by how much stuff is installed.