[OS X TeX] kpsewhich .enc strange

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 17:45:10 CET 2004

Gerben,

I see that Simon has succeeded in getting TL2005 install working, so
perhaps I should go that route.  However, something is clearly broken
in the TL2004 "Stable" install and I'm stubborn enough to want to help
you fix these bugs.  Please note that I am using the TUG i-Directory.

I'm starting with a clean install of the TeX i-Package dated June 2004,
before you integrated TL2004 into the TeX i-Package.  This old
i-Package installs and works without any problems.

I did the following:

1. I uninstalled the TeX i-Package.  (i-Installer reported that the
remote package was more current, so I updated before uninstalling.)
2. I verified that /usr/local/teTeX no longer existed on my machine.
(i-Installer bug: the Pkg Properties tab does not update the Installed
line to show "No installation found".)
3. I tried to run Install and Configure of the TeX i-Package.  This
failed.  The Subprocess Output error window shows:

Can't locate
/Users/cclifton/Documents/i-Packages/tex.ii2/tex.sharedscript.pm in
@INC (@INC contains:
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.1
/Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Network/Library/Perl .) at
/Users/cclifton/Documents/i-Packages/tex.ii2/tex.selector line 18.

There appears to be a problem with updating from the June TeX i-Package
to the most recent one.  The tex.sharedscript.pm file, among others, is
not downloaded.  I have reported this problem to you off-list
previously and have duplicated the problem three times using the
procedure described above.  You may not be interested in fixing this
bug, but should at least acknowledge it in either the package
description or on your website.

To get past this bug, it is necessary to exit i-Installer and delete
the TeX i-Package from my ~/Documents/i-Packages directory.  So I did
so and continued as follows:

1. I opened the TeX i-Package from TUG.
2. I ran Install and Configure with the following options:
	Full
	2004 Stable
	Paper size: chose letter, clicked Set
3. In Terminal, I opened on a new shell, cd to the directory containing
my minimal fourier sample file, and ran `pdflatex sample`.  This
failed, with the key bit of the log being: Warning: pdflatex (file
8r.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

Having re-established the broken installation, I tried all the various
queries on the environment that you've suggested in the threads on this
topic.  The full transcript of these follows my signature below.  But
the interesting bits are that:

- My environment contains only one variable related to TeX:
TEXEDIT=bbedit +%d %s
- The ENCFONTS variable does not appear in texmf.cnf as demonstrated by
the following transcript:

[cclifton]$ find /usr/local/teTeX -name texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$ grep ENCFONTS /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$ grep ENCFONTS /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$

The transcript below contains a listing of both texmf.cnf files.
You'll note that the /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf file
includes hardwired references to /usr/local/Build.  I suspect that the
i-Package is failing to generate the correct texmf.cnf for the TL2004
Stable install.

Your posts to the list seem to indicate that you believe this problem
is entirely due to user error (esp. with regard to environment
variables).  However, the other common factor is that TL2004 Stable
does not work, but TL2005 Devel. does work.

I will send the i-Installer report off list.

Curt

----------------------------------
Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

Here's the transcript of all my configuration settings:

Last login: Thu Dec 30 10:13:00 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
[cclifton]$ kpsewhich --help
Usage: kpsewhich [OPTION]... [FILENAME]...
   Standalone path lookup and expansion for Kpathsea.

-debug=NUM             set debugging flags.
-D, -dpi=NUM           use a base resolution of NUM; default 600.
-engine=STRING         set engine name to STRING.
-expand-braces=STRING  output variable and brace expansion of STRING.
-expand-path=STRING    output complete path expansion of STRING.
-expand-var=STRING     output variable expansion of STRING.
-format=NAME           use file type NAME (see list below).
-help                  print this message and exit.
-interactive           ask for additional filenames to look up.
[-no]-mktex=FMT        disable/enable mktexFMT generation
(FMT=pk/mf/tex/tfm).
-mode=STRING           set device name for $MAKETEX_MODE to STRING;
                        no default.
-must-exist            search the disk as well as ls-R if necessary
-path=STRING           search in the path STRING.
-progname=STRING       set program name to STRING.
-show-path=NAME        output search path for file type NAME (see list
below).
-var-value=STRING      output the value of variable $STRING.
-version               print version number and exit.

Email bug reports to tex-k at mail.tug.org.

Recognized format names and their suffixes:
gf: gf
pk: pk
bitmap font:
tfm: .tfm
afm: .afm
base: .base
bib: .bib
bst: .bst
cnf: .cnf
ls-R: ls-R ls-r
fmt: .fmt .efmt .efm .ofmt .ofm .oft .eofmt .eoft .eof .pfmt .pfm
.epfmt .epf .xpfmt .xpf .afmt .afm
map: .map
mem: .mem
mf: .mf
mfpool: .pool
mft: .mft
mp: .mp
mppool: .pool
MetaPost support:
ocp: .ocp
ofm: .ofm .tfm
opl: .opl
otp: .otp
ovf: .ovf
ovp: .ovp
graphic/figure: .eps .epsi
tex: .tex
TeX system documentation:
texpool: .pool
TeX system sources:
PostScript header: .pro
Troff fonts:
type1 fonts: .pfa .pfb
vf: .vf
dvips config:
ist: .ist
truetype fonts: .ttf .ttc
type42 fonts:
web2c files:
other text files:
other binary files:
misc fonts:
web: .web .ch
cweb: .w .web .ch
enc files: .enc
cmap files: .cmap
subfont definition files: .sfd
opentype fonts:
pdftex config:
lig files: .lig
texmfscripts:
[cclifton]$ which kpsewhich
kpsewhich is hashed
(/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/kpsewhich)
[cclifton]$ ls -l /usr/local/teTeX
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  admin   170 30 Dec 10:03 bin/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin   102 30 Dec 10:03 include/
drwxr-xr-x  17 root  admin   578 30 Dec 10:03 info/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  admin   136 30 Dec 10:03 lib/
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  admin   170 30 Dec 10:03 man/
drwxr-xr-x   9 root  admin   306 30 Dec 10:03 share/
-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  3209 30 Dec 10:05 texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$ cat /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
% Our directory setup as explained in $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/README.gwtex
% TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the
programs
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
% TEXMFTE contains the main TEXMF tree from teTeX
TEXMFTE = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.tetex
% TEXMFGW contains GW specific defaults and additions
TEXMFGW = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.gwtex
% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf

% Our complete search path, the last three are searched through
% ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
% after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFGW,!!$TEXMFTE,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

% If you want to disable the HOME trees, use this:
% TEXMF=!!{$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFGW,$TEXMFTE,$TEXMFMAIN}

% The system trees.  These are the trees that are shared by all the
users.
SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFGW;$TEXMFTE;$TEXMFMAIN

% Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the
sources
% were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable, or
the
% varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
VARTEXFONTS = /var/tmp/texfonts

% Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
% directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
% This is default set to TEXMF+VARTEXFONTS but without HOMETEXMF
TEXMFDBS = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFGW;$TEXMFTE;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS

% Make font tfm files is mf files are available
MKTEXTFM = 1

% Make fonts when unavailable (not all fonts are available for pdf
directly)
% Useful when using non-pdf-available fonts and going the
tex->dvi->ps->pdf route
MKTEXPK.pdftex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdflatex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdfetex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdfelatex = 1

% Enable \write18 (run shell processes from within TeX job)
% Set to t if needed
% (I think this might have security implications, especially if you
% run tex jobs as administrator, so I keep it turned off by default
shell_escape = f

% Fixes for mixing old and new style locations in TL2004 (according to
Hans Hagen)

TEXPSHEADERS            =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,map,type1,truetype},dvips,pdftex,tex}//;$TEXMF/
{etex,tex,pdftex,dvips,fonts/type1}//
TEXFONTMAPS             =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/map//,fontname};$TEXMF/{pdftex,dvips}/config;$TEXMF/
{pdftex,dvips}//
TEXCONFIG               =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//
PDFTEXCONFIG            = .;$TEXMF/pdftex/{$progname,}//
DVIPDFMINPUTS           =
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//

%TEXPSHEADERS           =
.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
%TEXCONFIG              = $TEXMF/{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}//
%TEXPSHEADERS.gsftopk   =
.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/
{type1,truetype}}//
%DVIPDFMINPUTS          =
.;$TEXMF/{dvipdfm,{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}}//
%XDVIINPUTS             =
.;$TEXMF/{xdvi,{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}}//

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex =
.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   =
.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//
[cclifton]$ find /usr/local/teTeX -name texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$ kpsewhich --expand-braces \$ENCFONTS

[cclifton]$ grep ENCFONTS /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$ grep ENCFONTS /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
[cclifton]$ env
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
JPATHSEP=:
JML=/Users/cclifton/JML2/org/jmlspecs/checker
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
HISTSIZE=500
MAKEFLAGS=--no-print-directory
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=100.1.4
CVSROOT=/Users/cclifton/Library/CVSArchive
JFILESEP=/
MAO=/Users/cclifton/IdeaProjects/mao
JDKDOCDIR=file:/Users/cclifton/Sites/jdkdocs/api
MJ_RELATIVE_ROOT=../MJ
ANT_HOME=/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/ant
CDPATH=.:/Users/cclifton
ASPECTJ_HOME=/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/aspectj
user=cclifton
USER=cclifton
TEMP=/Users/cclifton/temp
notify=t
ANTLRDOCDIR=file:/Users/cclifton/Sites/ANTLR-javadocs
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
POLYGLOT=/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/polyglot
PLSL_CLASSROOT=/Users/cclifton/MJ
PATH=.:/Users/cclifton/bin:/Users/cclifton/IdeaProjects/mao/bin:/Users/
cclifton/Library/JavaTools/polyglot/bin:/Users/cclifton/Library/
JavaTools/aspectj/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/
Developer/Tools:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
darwin-current:/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/ant/bin
MJTESTS=/Users/cclifton/MJ/org/multijava/mjc/testcase
PWD=/Users/cclifton
JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
JAVAC=javac
EDITOR=/usr/bin/bbedit
MJ_CLASSROOT=/Users/cclifton/MJ
PS1=[\W]$
FIGNORE=~:,v:.log:.aux:.toc:.blg:.bit:.class:.o:.backup.fm
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/cclifton
TEXEDIT=bbedit +%d %s
JML_CLASSROOT=/Users/cclifton/JML2
LOGNAME=cclifton
LESS=X
JTEMP=/Users/cclifton/temp
CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
VISUAL=/usr/bin/pico
JDLINKS=-link file:${HOME}/MJ/javadocs
CLASSPATH=.:/Users/cclifton/MJ:/Users/cclifton/JML2:/Users/cclifton/
Library/JavaTools/antlr:/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/junit/
junit.jar:/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/gnu:/Users/cclifton/JML2/
specs:/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/ant/lib/ant.jar:/Users/
cclifton/IdeaProjects/mao/build/classes:/Users/cclifton/IdeaProjects/
mao/build/test/classes:/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/aspectj/lib/
aspectjrt.jar
PROMPT_COMMAND=echo -ne "\033]2;"`pwd | sed "s:${HOME}:~:"`"\007"
CC=/Users/cclifton/Documents/GradSchool/Papers/cclifton
MJ=/Users/cclifton/MJ/org/multijava/mjc
SECURITYSESSIONID=10f103d0
JAVATOOLS141=/Users/cclifton/Library/JavaTools/JDK-1.4.1-Tools/tools.jar
_=/usr/bin/env
[cclifton]$ which pdflatex
pdflatex is /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
[cclifton]$ cat /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
% TeX Live texmf.cnf
% What follows is a super-summary of what this .cnf file can
% contain. Please read the Kpathsea manual for more information.
%
% Any identifier (sticking to A-Za-z_ for names is safest) can be
assigned.
% The `=' (and surrounding spaces) is optional.
% No % or @ in texmf.in, for the sake of autogeneration.
% (However, %'s and @'s can be edited into texmf.cnf or put in envvar
values.)
% $foo (or ${foo}) in a value expands to the envvar or cnf value of foo.
%
% Earlier entries (in the same or another file) override later ones, and
% an environment variable foo overrides any texmf.cnf definition of foo.
%
% All definitions are read before anything is expanded, so you can use
% variables before they are defined.
%
% If a variable assignment is qualified with `.PROGRAM', it is ignored
% unless the current executable (last filename component of argv[0]) is
% named PROGRAM.  This foo.PROGRAM construct is not recognized on the
% right-hand side. For environment variables, use FOO_PROGRAM.
%
% Which file formats use which paths for searches is described in the
% various programs' and the kpathsea documentation.
%
% // means to search subdirectories (recursively).
% A leading !! means to look only in the ls-R db, never on the disk.
% A leading/trailing/doubled ; in the paths will be expanded into the
%   compile-time default. Probably not what you want.
%
% You can use brace notation, for example: /usr/local/{mytex:othertex}
% expands to /usr/local/mytex:/usr/local/othertex.  Instead of the path
% separator you can use a comma: /usr/local/{mytex,othertex} also
expands
% to /usr/local/mytex:/usr/local/othertex.  However, the use of the
comma
% instead of the path separator is deprecated.
%
% The text above assumes thet path separator is a colon (:).  Non-UNIX
% systems use different path separators, like the semicolon (;).

%  Part 1: Search paths and directories.

% You can set an environment variable to override TEXMF if you're
testing
% a new TeX tree, without changing anything else.
%
% You may wish to use one of the $SELFAUTO... variables here so TeX will
% find where to look dynamically.  See the manual and the definition
% below of TEXMFCNF.

% The main tree, which must be mentioned in $TEXMF, below:
TEXMFMAIN =                     /usr/local/Build/TeXLive/share/texmf
% A place for local additions to a "standard" texmf tree.
TEXMFLOCAL =
/usr/local/Build/TeXLive/share/texmf-local

% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF=$HOME/texmf

% A place where texconfig stores modifications (instead of the TEXMFMAIN
% tree).  texconfig relies on the name, so don't change it.
VARTEXMF =                      /usr/local/Build/TeXLive/share/texmf-var

% Now, list all the texmf trees. If you have multiple trees,
% use shell brace notation, like this:
%   TEXMF =
{$HOMETEXMF,!!$VARTEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
% The braces are necessary.
%
% A place where to store other TeX support files. It can be a remote
% texmf tree, or a tree to store non-free stuff, or ...
%   TEXMFEXTRA=$TEXMF-extra
% If you set this, add $TEXMFEXTRA in the list below
%
TEXMF =
{$HOMETEXMF,!!$VARTEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

% The system trees.  These are the trees that are shared by all the
users.
SYSTEXMF =                      $TEXMF

% The temporary area
TEMP =                  /var/tmp

% Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the
sources
% were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable, or
the
% varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
VARTEXFONTS  =                  /var/tmp/texfonts

% Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
% directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
TEXMFDBS =                      $TEXMF

% It may be convenient to define TEXMF like this:
%   TEXMF =
{$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,$HOME}
% which allows users to set up entire texmf trees, and tells TeX to
% look in places like ~/tex and ~/bibtex.  If you do this, define
TEXMFDBS
% like this:
%   TEXMFDBS =
$HOMETEXMF;$TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS
% or mktexlsr will generate an ls-R file for $HOME when called, which is
% rarely desirable.  If you do this you'll want to define SYSTEXMF like
% this:
%   SYSTEXMF =                  $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN
% so that fonts from a user's tree won't escape into the global trees.
%
% On some systems, there will be a system tree which contains all the
font
% files that may be created as well as the formats.  For example
%   VARTEXMF =                  /var/lib/texmf
% is used on many Linux systems.  In this case, set VARTEXFONTS like
this
%   VARTEXFONTS =                       $VARTEXMF/fonts
% and do not mention it in TEXMFDBS (but _do_ mention VARTEXMF).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%
% Usually you will not need to edit any of the other variables in part
1. %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%

% WEB2C is for Web2C specific files.  The current directory may not be
% a good place to look for them.
WEB2C =                 $TEXMF/web2c

% TEXINPUTS is for TeX input files -- i.e., anything to be found by
\input
% or \openin, including .sty, .eps, etc.

% Fontinst needs to read afm files.
TEXINPUTS.fontinst =
.;$TEXMF/{tex{/fontinst,},fonts/afm}//

% Plain TeX.  Have the command tex check all directories as a last
% resort, we may have plain-compatible stuff anywhere.
TEXINPUTS.tex =                 .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//
% other plain-based formats
TEXINPUTS.amstex =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{amstex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.ftex =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{formate,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.texinfo =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{texinfo,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.eplain  =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{eplain,plain,generic,}//

% e-TeX.
TEXINPUTS.latex   =
.;$TEXMF/{etex,tex}/{latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.etex     =
.;$TEXMF/{etex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//

% PDFTeX.  This form of the input paths is borrowed from teTeX.  A
certain
% variant of TDS is assumed here, unaffected by the build variables.
TEXINPUTS.pdftexinfo =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{texinfo,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdftex   =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdflatex =
.;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,etex,tex}/{latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfetex   =
.;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,etex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex =
.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   =
.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

% Omega.
TEXINPUTS.lambda =
.;$TEXMF/{omega,tex}/{lambda,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.omega =
.;$TEXMF/{omega,tex}/{plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.elambda =
.;$TEXMF/{eomega,omega,tex}/{lambda,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.eomega =
.;$TEXMF/{eomega,omega,tex}/{plain,generic,}//

% Context macros by Hans Hagen:
TEXINPUTS.context   =
.;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//

% cstex, from Petr Olsak
TEXINPUTS.cslatex =
.;$TEXMF//tex/{cslatex,csplain,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.csplain =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{csplain,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfcslatex =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{cslatex,csplain,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfcsplain =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,cstex,tex}/{csplain,plain,generic,}//

% Polish
TEXINPUTS.platex  =
.;$TEXMF/{tex}/{platex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfplatex =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{platex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfmex   =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{mex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfemex   =
.;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,tex}/{mex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.mex   =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{mex,plain,generic,}//

% french
TEXINPUTS.frlatex =
.;$TEXMF/{mltex,tex}/{french,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.frtex   =
.;$TEXMF/{mltex,tex}/{french,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.frpdflatex =
.;$TEXMF/{mltex,pdftex,tex}/{french,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.frpdftex   =
.;$TEXMF/{mltex,pdftex,tex}/{french,plain,generic,}//

% MLTeX
TEXINPUTS.mltex =
.;$TEXMF/{mltex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.mllatex =
.;$TEXMF/{mltex,tex}/{latex,generic,}//

% odd formats  needing their own paths
TEXINPUTS.lollipop =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{lollipop,generic,plain,}//
TEXINPUTS.lamstex  =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{lamstex,generic,plain,}//

% David Carlisle's xmltex
TEXINPUTS.xmltex =
.;$TEXMF/{etex,tex}/{xmltex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfxmltex =
.;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,etex,tex}/{xmltex,latex,generic,}//

% Sebastian Rahtz' jadetex for DSSSL
TEXINPUTS.pdfjadetex =
.;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{jadetex,generic,plain,}//
TEXINPUTS.jadetex =
.;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,generic,plain,}//

% Earlier entries override later ones, so put this last.
TEXINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/tex/{generic,}//

% Metafont, MetaPost inputs.
MFINPUTS =
.;$TEXMF/metafont//;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/source//
MPINPUTS =                      .;$TEXMF/metapost//

% mft
MFTINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/mft//

% Web and CWeb input paths.
WEBINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/web//
CWEBINPUTS =                    .;$TEXMF/cweb//

% Dump files (fmt/base/mem) for vir{tex,mf,mp} to read (see
web2c/INSTALL),
% and string pools (.pool) for ini{tex,mf,mp}.  It is silly that we
have six
% paths and directories here (they all resolve to a single place by
default),
% but historically ...
TEXFORMATS =                    .;$TEXMF/web2c
MFBASES    =                    $TEXFORMATS
MPMEMS     =                    $TEXFORMATS
TEXPOOL    =                    $TEXFORMATS
MFPOOL     =                    $TEXFORMATS
MPPOOL     =                    $TEXFORMATS

% Device-independent font metric files.
VFFONTS =                       .;$TEXMF/fonts/vf//
TFMFONTS =                      .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/tfm//

% The $MAKETEX_MODE below means the drivers will not use a cx font when
% the mode is ricoh.  If no mode is explicitly specified, kpse_prog_init
% sets MAKETEX_MODE to /, so all subdirectories are searched.  See the
manual.
% The modeless part guarantees that bitmaps for PostScript fonts are
found.
PKFONTS =
.;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/pk/{$MAKETEX_MODE,modeless}//

% Similarly for the GF format, which only remains in existence because
% Metafont outputs it (and MF isn't going to change).
GFFONTS =                       .;$TEXMF/fonts/gf/$MAKETEX_MODE//

% A backup for PKFONTS and GFFONTS. Not used for anything.
GLYPHFONTS =                    .;$TEXMF/fonts

% For texfonts.map and included map files used by mktexpk.
% See ftp://ftp.tug.org/tex/fontname.tar.gz.
TEXFONTMAPS =                   .;$TEXMF/fontname

% BibTeX bibliographies and style files.
BIBINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/bibtex/{bib,}//
BSTINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/bibtex/{bst,}//

% PostScript headers, prologues (.pro), encodings (.enc) and fonts;
% this is also where pdftex finds included figures files!
TEXPSHEADERS =
.;$TEXMF/{{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
TEXPSHEADERS.gsftopk =
.;$TEXMF/{{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},pdftex,tex,fonts/
{type1,truetype}}//

% PostScript Type 1 outline fonts.
T1FONTS =
.;$TEXMF/fonts/{type1,pfb}//;$TEXMF/fonts/misc/hbf//

% PostScript AFM metric files.
AFMFONTS =                      .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//

% TrueType outline fonts.
TTFONTS =                       .;$TEXMF/fonts/{truetype,ttf}//
TTF2TFMINPUTS =                 .;$TEXMF/ttf2pk//

% Type 42 outline fonts.
T42FONTS =                      .;$TEXMF/fonts/type42//

% A place to puth everything that doesn't fit the other font categories.
MISCFONTS =                     .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//

% Dvips' config.* files (this name should not start with `TEX'!).
TEXCONFIG =
$TEXMF/{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}}//

% Makeindex style (.ist) files.
INDEXSTYLE =                    .;$TEXMF/makeindex//;$TEXMF/tex//

% Used by DMP (ditroff-to-mpx), called by makempx -troff.
TRFONTS =                       /usr/lib/font/devpost
MPSUPPORT =                     .;$TEXMF/metapost/support

% For xdvi to find mime.types and .mailcap, if they do not exist in
% $HOME.  These are single directories, not paths.
% (But the default mime.types, at least, may well suffice.)
MIMELIBDIR =                    /usr/local/Build/TeXLive/etc
MAILCAPLIBDIR =                 /usr/local/Build/TeXLive/etc

% TeX documentation and source files, for use with kpsewhich.
TEXDOCS =                       .;$TEXMF/doc//
TEXSOURCES =                    .;$TEXMF/source//

% allow for compressed files, and various extenions
TEXDOCSSUFFIX =                 :.pdf:.ps:.dvi:.html:.txt:.tex
TEXDOCSCOMPRESS =                       :.gz:.bz2:.zip:.Z
TEXDOCEXT =                     {$TEXDOCSSUFFIX}{$TEXDOCSCOMPRESS}

% Omega-related fonts and other files.  The odd construction for
OFMFONTS
% makes it behave in the face of a definition of TFMFONTS.
Unfortunately
% no default substitution would take place for TFMFONTS, so an explicit
% path is retained.
OFMFONTS =
.;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/{ofm,tfm}//;$TFMFONTS
OPLFONTS =                      .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/opl//
OVFFONTS =                      .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/ovf//
OVPFONTS =                      .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/ovp//
OTPINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/omega/otp//
OCPINPUTS =                     .;$TEXMF/omega/ocp//

%dvipdfm
DVIPDFMINPUTS =
.;$TEXMF/{dvipdfm,{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}}}//

%% t4ht utility, sharing files with TeX4ht
TEX4HTFONTSET=alias,iso8859
TEX4HTINPUTS =
.;$TEXMF/tex4ht/base//;$TEXMF/tex4ht/ht-fonts/{$TEX4HTFONTSET}//
T4HTINPUTS=                     .;$TEXMF/tex4ht/base//
%% The mktex* scripts rely on KPSE_DOT. Do not set it in the
environment.

XDVIINPUTS=.;$TEXMF/{xdvi,{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}}}//
KPSE_DOT =                      .

% Perl, Python, Ruby, Java scripts (Win32 only)
% This is used by the irun.exe program which simulates a symlink
% but also makes use of kpathsea to retrieve the target
PERLINPUTS =                    .;$TEXMF/{perl,context,}//
PYTHONINPUTS =                  .;$TEXMF/{python,}//
RUBYINPUTS =                    .;$TEXMF/{ruby,context}//
JAVAINPUTS =                    .;$TEXMF/{java,}//

% This definition isn't used from this .cnf file itself (that would be
% paradoxical), but the compile-time default in paths.h is built from
it.
% The SELFAUTO* variables are set automatically from the location of
% argv[0], in kpse_set_progname.
%
% About the /. construction:
% 1) if the variable is undefined, we'd otherwise have an empty path
%    element in the compile-time path.  This is not meaningful.
% 2) if we used /$VARIABLE, we'd end up with // if VARIABLE is defined,
%    which would search the entire world.
%
% The TETEXDIR stuff isn't likely to be relevant unless you're using
teTeX,
% but it doesn't hurt.
%
TEXMFCNF =
.;$VARTEXMF/web2c;{$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/
share,}/texmf{.local,}/web2c};/usr/local/Build/TeXLive/share/texmf/
web2c

% Suggestions for editor settings under Windows. Uncomment your
% preferred option. The corresponding MFEDIT can also be set for use
with
% Metafont.
%
% Winedt:
%  TEXEDIT=C:\WinEdt\WinEdt.exe "[Open('%s');SelLine(%d,7)]
% Textpad:
%  TEXEDIT =                    c:\Progra~1\TextPad\System\Ddeopn32
TextPad %s(%d)
% UltraEdit (newer Win32 versions):
%  TEXEDIT =                    uedit32 %s/%d/1
% WinTeXShell32:
%  TEXEDIT =                    texshell.exe /l=%d %s
% vi, vim, gvim. here we show Windows gvim.exe:
%  TEXEDIT =                    gvim.exe %s +%d
% PFE:
%  TEXEDIT=pfe32/g%d  %s
% MED:
%  TEXEDIT=med.exe "%s" %d
% TSE:
%  TEXEDIT=e32.exe "%s" -n%d
% Epsilon (Lugaru)            http://www.lugaru.com/
%  TEXEDIT="c:\Program Files\eps90\bin\e32.exe" +%d %s
% WinShell
% TEXEDIT=C:\Progra~1\WinShell\WinShell.exe -c %s -l %d

% For unix
%
% vi, vim, NEdit, (X)Emacs, pico, jed
% TEXEDIT =                     vi     +%d %s
% TEXEDIT =                     vim    +%d %s
% TEXEDIT =                     nedit  +%d %s
% TEXEDIT =                     xemacs +%d %s

%(x)fte:
% TEXEDIT =                     xfte   -l%d %s

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
% Write .log/.dvi/etc. files here, if the current directory is
unwritable.
% TEXMFOUTPUT =                 /tmp

% If a dynamic file creation fails, log the command to this file, in
% either the current directory or TEXMFOUTPUT.  Set to the
% empty string or  0  to avoid logging.
MISSFONT_LOG =                  missfont.log

% Set to a colon-separated list of words specifying warnings to
suppress.
% To suppress everything, use TEX_HUSH =all
% TEX_HUSH =                    checksum:lostchar:readable:special
TEX_HUSH =                      none

% Enable system commands via \write18{...}?
shell_escape =                  f

% Allow TeX \openout/\openin on filenames starting with `.' (e.g.,
.rhosts)?
% a (any)        : any file can be opened.
% r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
% p (paranoid)   : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
%                  restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
openout_any =                   p
openin_any =                    a
% Allow TeX, MF, and MP to parse the first line of an input file for
% the %&format construct.
parse_first_line =                      t

% Allow TeX, eTeX, Omega to include `src:' specials in the dvi file.
% These specials are used by viewers to jump from the viewer into
% the editor at the right page/lineno.
% Possible values : none auto cr display hbox math par parend vbox
src_specials =                  none

% Disable search on multiple suffixes filenames. In many case, when
`foo.bar'
% is looked for, you do not want to look for `foo.bar.tex' before. This
flag
% disables searching for standard suffixes if the file name has already
an
% extension of 3 characters. Default value is true (old behaviour).
% allow_multiple_suffixes =                     f

% Enable the mktex... scripts by default?  These must be set to 0 or 1.
% Particular programs can and do override these settings, for example
% dvips's -M option.  Your first chance to specify whether the scripts
% are invoked by default is at configure time.
%
% These values are ignored if the script names are changed; e.g., if you
% set DVIPSMAKEPK to `foo', what counts is the value of the environment
% variable/config value `FOO', not the `MKTEXPK' value.
%
% MKTEXTEX =                    0
% MKTEXPK =                     0
% MKTEXMF =                     0
% MKTEXTFM =                    0
% MKOCP =                       0
% MKOFM =                       0

% What MetaPost runs to make MPX files.  This is passed an option -troff
% if MP is in troff mode.  Set to `0' to disable this feature.
MPXCOMMAND =                    makempx

%  Part 3: Array and other sizes for TeX (and Metafont and MetaPost).
%
% If you want to change some of these sizes only for a certain TeX
% variant, the usual dot notation works, e.g.,
% main_memory.hugetex =                 20000000
%
% If a change here appears to be ignored, try redumping the format file.
%

%-----------------------------------------------------------------
% Memory. Must be less than 8,000,000 total.
%
% main_memory is relevant only to initex, extra_mem_* only to non-ini.
% Thus, have to redump the .fmt file after changing main_memory; to add
% to existing fmt files, increase extra_mem_*.  (To get an idea of how
% much, try \tracingstats=2 in your TeX source file;
% web2c/tests/memtest.tex might also be interesting.)
%
% To increase space for boxes (as might be needed by, e.g., PiCTeX),
% increase extra_mem_bot.
%
%
main_memory =                   2500000 % words of inimemory available;
also applies to inimf&mp
extra_mem_bot    =              2000000 % extra high memory for chars,
tokens, etc.
extra_mem_top    =              2000000 % extra low memory for boxes,
glue, breakpoints, etc.

% ConTeXt is a memory hog...
main_memory.context = 2000000 % Keep total within 8000000 limit
extra_mem_bot.context = 4000000

% Words of font info for TeX (total size of all TFM files,
approximately).
font_mem_size =                 2000000

% Extra space for the hash table of control sequences (which allows 10K
% names as distributed).
hash_extra =                    50000

% Minimum pool space after TeX/MP's own strings; must be at least
% 25000 less than pool_size, but doesn't need to be nearly that large.
string_vacancies =              90000
pool_free =                     47500 % min pool space left after
pool_size  =                    1250000

%  allow for a lot of hyphenations
trie_size =                     262000

% Buffer size.  TeX uses the buffer to contain input lines, but macro
% expansion works by writing material into the buffer and reparsing the
% line.  As a consequence, certain constructs require the buffer to be
% very large.  As distributed, the size is 50000; most documents can be
% handled within a tenth of this size.
buf_size =                      200000

% Parameter specific to MetaPost.
% Maximum number of knots between breakpoints of a path.
% Set to 2000 by default.
% path_size.mpost =                     10000

% These are pdftex-specific.
obj_tab_size =                  300000 % PDF objects
dest_names_size=300000 % destinations

% These are Omega-specific.
ocp_buf_size =                  500000  % character buffers for ocp
filters.
ocp_stack_size =                        10000   % stacks for ocp
computations.
ocp_list_size =                 1000    % control for multiple ocps.

% These work best if they are the same as the I/O buffer size, but it
% doesn't matter much.  Must be a multiple of 8.
dvi_buf_size =                  16384    % TeX
gf_buf_size =                   16384     % MF

% It's probably inadvisable to change these. At any rate, we must have:
% 45 < error_line      < 255;
% 30 < half_error_line < error_line - 15;
% 60 <=                 max_print_line;
% These apply to Metafont and MetaPost as well.
error_line =                    79
half_error_line =               50
max_print_line =                79
max_in_open =                   15   % simultaneous input files and
error insertions
hyph_size =                     1000 % number of hyphenation
exceptions, >610 and <32767

%-----------------------------------------------------------------
% Commented out (GW) because the defaults are larger
% main_memory.mf           =            800000
% main_memory.mpost =                   1000000
% pool_size.mpost =                     500000

% Total number of fonts. Must be >= 50 and <= 2000 (without tex.ch
changes).
font_max         =              2000

% Max number of characters in all strings, including all error messages,
% help texts, font names, file names, control sequences.
% These values apply to TeX and MP.

max_strings      =              100000 % max number of strings
nest_size =                     500 % simultaneous semantic levels
(e.g., groups)
param_size       =              10000 % simultaneous macro parameters
save_size        =              50000 % for saving values outside
current group
stack_size       =              5000 % simultaneous input sources

% Context's metafun
% Commented out (GW) because the defaults are larger
% main_memory.metafun      =            2500000
% pool_size.metafun        =            1000000
[cclifton]$

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>