[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release. Bug fix.

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Dec 30 09:43:32 CET 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 22:37, Curtis Clifton wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Curtis: could you send me your set of Fourier files? Since I don't
>> understand maths a non-disclosure agreement should not be needed (the
>> mathematician I know from the neighbour town works on cryptography)
>
> Thanks for your persistence, Pete.   I uninstalled everything,
> verified that /usr/local/teTeX was gone, deleted the existing tex.ii2
> file, and rebooted.  Then I opened tex.ii2 i-Package (from Utah, dated
> 2004/12/29 16:59:32) and did an expert install.  The following sample
> document does not typeset correctly using pdflatex:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fourier}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
>
> \end{document}
>
> Every character maps to ".notdef" and the generated pdf just has small
> rectangles for each character.
>
> Running `updmap --listmaps` shows that fourier.map is enabled.  The
> file pdftex.map exists and is a symlink to pdftex_ndl14.map, which
> also exists.  Running `sudo updmap` and `sudo texhash` does not help.
>
> Pouring over the log file I see the following interesting line:
>     Warning: pdflatex (file 8r.enc): cannot open encoding file for
> reading
>
> And here is an illuminating bit of terminal transcript:
> [teTeX]$ kpsewhich 8r.enc
> [teTeX]$ find . -name '8r.enc'
> ./share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc
> [teTeX]$ pwd
> /usr/local/teTeX
> [teTeX]$ kpsewhich --show-path 8r.enc
> .:/usr/local/Build/TeXLive.tl2003.development/share/texmf/fonts/enc//
>
> It appears the 8r.enc exists but the tex search path is munged so the
> encoding file is not found under pdflatex.  Also note the the
> /usr/local/Build directory doesn't exist on my machine.

What you are seeing are the compiled-in defaults (which relate to how
TeX is built on my system). They should normally not be visible because
texmf.cnf is being read and that one contains the right settings:

$ kpsewhich --show-path 8r.enc
.:/Volumes/Data/Users/gerben/Library/texmf/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/
teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.gwtex/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/
/:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/enc//

My guess is that /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf is gone or broken. This is
the problem, most likely.

$ find /usr/local/teTeX -name texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf

/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf should contain:
% Our directory setup as explained in $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/README.gwtex
% TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the
programs
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
% TEXMFTE contains the main TEXMF tree from teTeX
TEXMFTE = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.tetex
% TEXMFGW contains GW specific defaults and additions
TEXMFGW = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.gwtex
% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf

% Our complete search path, the last three are searched through
% ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
% after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFGW,!!$TEXMFTE,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

% If you want to disable the HOME trees, use this:
% TEXMF=!!{$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFGW,$TEXMFTE,$TEXMFMAIN}

% The system trees.  These are the trees that are shared by all the
users.
SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFGW;$TEXMFTE;$TEXMFMAIN

% Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the
sources
% were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable, or
the
% varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
VARTEXFONTS = /var/tmp/texfonts

% Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
% directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
% This is default set to TEXMF+VARTEXFONTS but without HOMETEXMF
TEXMFDBS = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFGW;$TEXMFTE;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS

% Make font tfm files is mf files are available
MKTEXTFM = 1

% Make fonts when unavailable (not all fonts are available for pdf
directly)
% Useful when using non-pdf-available fonts and going the
tex->dvi->ps->pdf route
MKTEXPK.pdftex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdflatex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdfetex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdfelatex = 1

% Enable \write18 (run shell processes from within TeX job)
% Set to t if needed
% (I think this might have security implications, especially if you
% run tex jobs as administrator, so I keep it turned off by default
shell_escape = f

% Fixes for mixing old and new style locations in TL2004 (according to
Hans Hagen)

TEXPSHEADERS		=
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,map,type1,truetype},dvips,pdftex,tex}//;$TEXMF/
{etex,tex,pdftex,dvips,fonts/type1}//
TEXFONTMAPS		=
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/map//,fontname};$TEXMF/{pdftex,dvips}/config;$TEXMF/
{pdftex,dvips}//
TEXCONFIG		= .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//
PDFTEXCONFIG		= .;$TEXMF/pdftex/{$progname,}//
DVIPDFMINPUTS		= .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//

%TEXPSHEADERS		=
.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
%TEXCONFIG		= $TEXMF/{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}//
%TEXPSHEADERS.gsftopk	=
.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/
{type1,truetype}}//
%DVIPDFMINPUTS		= .;$TEXMF/{dvipdfm,{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}}//
%XDVIINPUTS		= .;$TEXMF/{xdvi,{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}}//

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

And the binary should be in:

$ which pdfetex
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdfetex

(this is important because it defines where TeX finds texmf.cnf, namely
two directories up.)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>