[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package released

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Wed Dec 29 00:39:27 CET 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> I'm seeing massive problems here. I used TeX Live 2004 for quite some
> time now and, after some initial problems, had it running flawlessly.
> After making  the newest updates my fonts are screwed up: I get the
> following error in all kind of variants:

I hate to pile on, but I'm also having serious font problems.  Sample
document and console log are attached.  I uninstalled my old Gerben TeX
install and reinstalled, once using expert mode so I could make sure
utopia and fourier maps were enabled and then again using basic mode.
Now I can't get anything to typeset right.  I have studiously avoided
trying to understand the horrible kludge that is the LaTeX font system,
but it looks like I'm about to be educated.  Sigh...

Here's the sample document:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus sed
urna. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

\end{document}

And here's the console output:

This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
  %&-line parsing enabled.
output format initialized to PDF
entering extended mode
(./sample.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8c> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, d
utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
No file sample.aux.
[1
Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file pdfte
x.map): cannot open font map file
] (./sample.aux)kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag
1+0/600 --dpi 600 cmr10
mktexpk: No such file or directory
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
  )
Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file cmr10
): Font cmr10 at 600 not found
Output written on sample.pdf (1 page, 1261 bytes).
Transcript written on sample.log.
OK

Some observations:

The file pdftex.map does not appear in my /usr/loca/teTeX tree.

The above transcript is from running pdflatex from within BBEdit.  If I
run it from a shell, then mktexpk is found and I actually get a pdf,
but the fonts are in that wonderfully ugly bitmapped form that I
sometimes see when downloading .ps files and converting them to pdf.

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>