[OS X TeX] From LaTeX to TeX

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Mon Dec 27 16:10:50 CET 2004

GG> Being far from an expert I can tell you this, I learned the little I know
GG> starting with LaTeX. When I upgraded to my new Mac I could not install
GG> LaTeX and get it to work. Maarten helped me to set up my new machine. Well
GG> the upshot was that we installed plain TeX.

GG> The point  being that I took my backup files that I had and opened them
GG> without any problems under TeX.

I don't know what you mean with 'opened them with TeX', but you certainly
can't just process LaTeX files with plain TeX. Moreover, all modern TeX
installations that I know have both plain TeX and LaTeX in them. So
installing just plain TeX without LaTeX looks to me a major operation,
compared to a full installation with both, certainly on a Mac.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>