[OS X TeX] improving the tex typesetting script?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 21 21:04:47 CET 2004

On 21 dec 2004, at 20:35, Herb Schulz wrote:

> On 12/21/04 1:23 PM, "Maarten Sneep" <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> I use a slightly different trick for speeding things up: the first few
>> runs (two, three) are started with:
>> pdflatex '\PassOptionToClass{draft}{graphics}' file
>> which prevents the graphics package (and therefore graphicx as well)
>> actually include the graphics files in pdflatex. Since I mostly use
>> metapost figures, this speeds up the compilation considerably -- there
>> are possibly other packages that can benefit from having a draft
>> option
>> thrown at them.
>
> But then don't you have to run it two (or more?) times to guarantee the
> cross references and TOC, etc., come out right?

No, the draft option for graphics replaces the figures with an empty
box of
the same size: all references remain in the same location. Other
packages
may indeed require multiple runs to get the required result. Hyperref
itself
requires two runs, and can only be disabled on the first of three runs.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>