[OS X TeX] Emacs compilation time

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at zeno.math.fsu.edu
Tue Dec 21 20:08:08 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 07:59:46PM +0100, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2004, at 19:47, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> >That's probably where the problem comes from. In particular my path
> >settings (should they be used by DP) are:
> >
> >$ echo $PATH
> >/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
> >darwin-current:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/bin
> >
> >And I have a number of emacs 20.7 components in various subdirectories
> >of /usr/local, which were created when installing the Cocoa port from
> ><http://kamares.ucsd.edu/~arobert/GNUstep/emacs.html>.
>
> And that's why you want autonomous and relocatable bundles, like ECE
> pioneered. The idea of letting everything reside in

On one hand, yes. On the other, the problem above is that a bunch
of things have been scattered somewhere (/usr/local in this
case?) without any sort of control. In a way I like the
Darwinports alternative: the support stuff goes in ${prefix}
(which defaults to /opt/local) and the app in another controlled
place. So everything can be uninstalled cleanly. This is
essentially the same as the X11.app distributed by Apple: the
X11.app is in /Applications/Utilities, whereas the XFree86 stuff
is in the standard /usr/X11R6 place.

> ~/Library/Application\ Support/ is nice. Maybe I'll switch to this idea
> for my forthcoming ECE distribution.

That'd be nice.

Ettore

--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics	 http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Florida State University       	       aldrovandi at math.fsu.edu
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA     +1 (850) 644-9717 (FAX: 4053)
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>